Can I use Parallels and bypass the bootcamp/driver hell on earth ?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by 2807, Jan 22, 2014.

1. 2807 macrumors member

I have a 2012 Air. I did bootcamp and XP many times on older machines, but now this newer stuff is not working for me.

I bought a new version of Windows 8.1.

Tried Bootcamp = FAIL.

Long story short..

IF I buy parallels, can I then install my new windows 8.1 "inside" parallels and bypass the problems I am having with bootcamp and needing a USB drive, and FATT 32 crap, and missing drivers, and god knows what else...??

HELP ! :)

2. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

If you want to reboot into Bootcamp, you'll still need those "drivers"

3. 2807 thread starter macrumors member

Is installing inside of parallels easier than using bootcamp and bypasses the problems that this forum is full of?

I guess I am asking: Does Parallels have the necessary things to make 8.1 run easy on my Macbook air since bootcamp does not ?

Dang, I can't word this correctly, but I know you people can answer this ! !

Help ! ! ??

4. bkribbs macrumors 65816

I believe it does. Parallels is great, I use it daily. I did import a Bootcamp partition for it so the drivers were installed, but I think it should work without them.

5. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

If you're going to run it as a virtual machine only, then it doesn't matter. If you want to dual boot, then bootcamp is the only way to install but you can use it with Parallels after it's installed.

I dunno what problems there are. I have yet to run any problems with boot camp since 2007.

6. Mike Boreham macrumors 65816

Yes

Unless you are a serious gamer you will be very happy with Parallels.

Parallels does have some issues but in my experience of both it is much more hassle free, not least the whole question of backing up, which is simple matter of keeping a copy or two of the VM file.

7. Cape Dave macrumors 65816

Parallel's is 10,000 per cent easier! I feel your pain. I tried for days to get bootcamp running. Just was not destined to happen. With Parallels, it went 123.

And it is plenty fast enough. Rock on.

8. thewitt macrumors 68020

thewitt

I abandoned Paralles for VMWare, and am very happy I did. You can download a trial version and see how it works for you.

9. 2807 thread starter macrumors member

OP here:

Thanks folks. I will try Parallel or VM. Bootcamp and the endless pain I see for drivers and more to make 8.1 work is too challenging for me. It is far from plug and play. I did bootcamp/XP many times years ago and had it working. I don't know why it now is so difficult?

I really just need this for occasional MS Word format issues and real player (and other) video/audio that won't work on Mac sometimes.

Thanks