Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dino F

Suspended
Original poster
Sep 16, 2010
Croydon, South London, UK
As far as I'm aware, I think I'm correct in saying that FaceTime ONLY works via wi-fi (non JB).

My question, then, is this - if I had 1 iPhone 4 connected to a 2nd iPhone 4 via Personal Hotspot (so in theory - it IS on wi-fi), would FaceTime work to a 3rd compatible device?!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

aleni

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2006
yes it works, tried that before.

and this condition works too: my iphone 4 is jailbroken and have 3G unrestrictor to enable ft over 3g, and my ipod touch is connected to my iphone with personal hotspot, and i tried facetime from the iPhone to the iPod. it works too.

reclusive46

macrumors 65816
Apr 14, 2011
Canada
Its a shame they don't let you pay extra to use it over 3G. I have pretty good 3G coverage where I go and it would work great.

petvas

macrumors 603
Jul 20, 2006
Munich, Germany
Its a shame they don't let you pay extra to use it over 3G. I have pretty good 3G coverage where I go and it would work great.

I agree but this not Apples fault. The providers don't want it because they are afraid that FaceTime will consume a lot of bandwidth.

blevins321

macrumors 68030
Dec 24, 2010
Detroit, MI
I agree but this not Apples fault. The providers don't want it because they are afraid that FaceTime will consume a lot of bandwidth.

Yep. >20MB iTunes/App downloads are blocked over 3G as well. My3G from the Cydia store fixes those problems though :)

Daveoc64

macrumors 601
Jan 16, 2008
Bristol, UK

The providers shouldn't have any say over it.

It's just data.

If Apple puts it in the firmware then there's nothing that AT&T or any other carrier can do to stop it.

Apple has been wary of putting anything into the firmware that would steal business from AT&T. Game Center doesn't have a messaging feature, there's no competitor to BBM etc.

Last edited:

Cole JM

macrumors regular
Mar 13, 2011
It shouldnt matter how you comsume your 5, 4, 3, 2, or 1GBs of data, they should let you do it how you want.

racedude

macrumors member
Aug 28, 2010
Carmel, IN
It shouldnt matter how you comsume your 5, 4, 3, 2, or 1GBs of data, they should let you do it how you want.

It doesn't matter "how" you are consuming data. From their standpoint if they allowed every iPhone customer to facetime over 3G (or do any high-bandwith services), their network could easily be clogged up, which would slow down all of their customer's phones. Fortunately, these services were enabled through jailbreaking, but the amount of jailbroken phones is actually a minority when compared to the number of iPhones on each network.

erayser

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2011
San Diego
I FaceTime with my iPad 2... connected with my 4G mifi hotspot... when I was driving home from a business trip. It worked well. I'm sure it will work fine using your iPhone as a hotspot.

nateo200

macrumors 68030
Feb 4, 2009
Upstate NY
It doesn't matter "how" you are consuming data. From their standpoint if they allowed every iPhone customer to facetime over 3G (or do any high-bandwith services), their network could easily be clogged up, which would slow down all of their customer's phones. Fortunately, these services were enabled through jailbreaking, but the amount of jailbroken phones is actually a minority when compared to the number of iPhones on each network.

Why was that so hard to come up with? Honestly I swear 1/4 MR posters have critical thinking skills...massive facetime use over a 3G network that can barely handle YouTube HD and does not have the latency for real time services like video chat would just be bad for everyone...that is until HSPA is everywhere and pushing 21mbs..

Daveoc64

macrumors 601
Jan 16, 2008
Bristol, UK
Why was that so hard to come up with? Honestly I swear 1/4 MR posters have critical thinking skills...massive facetime use over a 3G network that can barely handle YouTube HD and does not have the latency for real time services like video chat would just be bad for everyone...that is until HSPA is everywhere and pushing 21mbs..

Facetime uses less bandwidth than SD YouTube, it's not that crazy (about 3MB per minute).

AT&T's network is supposed to be crap, but that doesn't mean the hundreds of networks around the world with the iPhone are anything like that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.