Can I use PwnageTool to ONLY activate my iPhone

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by MST, Nov 5, 2008.

1. MST macrumors 6502

MST

As the title states I want to restore my iPhone using iTunes and then reactivate it without jailbreaking or unlocking it, can I do this? And if so how?

2. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    I would say no, because I believe that the activation is a part of the jailbreak process. If you aren't unlocking it, why don't you just activate it the old fashioned way?

3. MST thread starter macrumors 6502

MST

Please can you elaborate on what you mean by "the old fashioned way" :confused:

4. LSUtigers03 macrumors 68020

LSUtigers03

If you don't want to jailbreak or unlock there's no reason to use pwnage. Just use itunes.

5. MST thread starter macrumors 6502

MST

I think I need to make myself clearer; I am going to be taking the iPhone to the Genius Bar at my local Apple Store on Friday and as such I don't want them to realise that it has been jailbroken and unlocked for obvious reasons, however, I also don't want to walk in there with it displaying the iPhone activation screen. As such I'd like to walk in there on Friday with an activated iPhone that has no trace of jailbreaking or unlocking.

Any suggestions?

6. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    Just using pwnage tool and including the jailbreak, since I don't believe there is any other way to just unlock it.

Anyways, I believe they run diagnostics on it to see if anythings been messed with. So I would recommend doing a dfu restore, and then use a friends at&t sim card to activate it through itunes. Then you should be able to remove the card and it will say "no sim" in the corner of the phone. Then you could tell the genius that you just bought the phone from a friend and haven't transferred your sim card yet. I'm not sure what their policies are on fixing phones that are not on an AT&T contract. Does anyone have any first hand experience taking an off-contract iPhone to the apple store?

7. MST thread starter macrumors 6502

MST

Well I've just restored it in iTunes, sometime before Friday I'll use PwnageTool to jailbreak and unlock it. I currently use the phone with an O2 SIM but it's not an iPhone contract SIM and so iTunes won't allow me to activate it :(

EDIT: Out of curiosity I thought I'd try and activate it using iTunes and low and behold it has only gone and worked!! No need to worry about messing around with PwnageTool now before my Genius Bar appointment :D

8. Pixellated macrumors 65816

Via iTunes - If it is on AT&T then why would you need to hactivate it? If it isn't, and you bought it 'unlocked' from eBay, then unlock with Pwnage. If you are using no sim, then also go the Pnage route.

EDIT: You should have said it is on o2. Even a PAYG o2 sim will activate through iTunes

9. MST thread starter macrumors 6502

MST

I was always under the impression that activating in iTunes meant signing up to a contract online; at least that's how I'm sure it used to be, if not then I don't know what I've been worrying about all this time...what a prat! :eek: LOL

Presumably then this is the upshot of O2 releasing a PAYG iPhone??