Can I use SATA drives?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by scrillgates, Feb 20, 2008.

1. scrillgates macrumors newbie

Hey folks. Bear with me...I'm a graphic designer but I don't know much about my computer's inner workings. I have a mirrored drive door dual 1Ghz G4. I have two SATA drives that were used in a Dell server on a RAID setup. They are Western Digital Caviar HDs, 250 GB apiece.

My question is: is there any way to install one of these drives in my computer?

Any help is appreciated...thanks.

2. smirk macrumors 6502a

smirk

Hi there,

Sure thing, you just have to plug in a card which will give you Serial ATA hookups. I don't know your exact model computer, but probably something like this will work:

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/ACARD/AEC6290M/

It should be pretty easy to install it; just plug in the card, connect the drives to it, and install the firmware and driver updates from Acard's web site.

Good luck!

3. Brianna macrumors regular

Yeah I think the MDD PowerMac had regular ATA drives not SATA drives so you'll need a PCI card with SATA ports to use SATA drives. There could also be a ATA to SATA adaptor if your thinking of using them as your regular drives, but I would recommend the PCI card like live4ever suggested.

4. scrillgates thread starter macrumors newbie

How many drives can I fit in the computer? I already have two ATA drives in there. My original plan was to remove the second ATA drive which is only 40 GB and replace it with one of the SATA 250 GB drives, but if I can fit both drives in the computer without having to remove my original HD, that would be ideal.

I also read something about a firewire enclosure for SATA drives...is this a viable option as well?

I really appreciate the help by the way.