Can I use Siri to read my last iMessage whilst locked?

Discussion in 'iOS 10' started by erasr, Sep 18, 2016.

1. erasr macrumors 6502

As the title says. I'm a bit of an amateur with Siri but now I've got an iPhone 7 I want to embrace it.

If I ask Siri to read the last message she can only read it if I unlock the phone.

I have Siri enabled in settings when locked and everything seems active in that way.

Can this not be done?

2. BBDDVV macrumors newbie

Huh, with the phone locked I can just say: "hey Siri, read that message" and she does so :)
    (6S, language set to US English, not sure what else could be meaningful...)

3. boltjames macrumors 68030

boltjames

Same here, Siri does what I tell her to do.

I use Siri in the car while driving (phone locked) and Siri on the hotel nightstand (while shaving) all the time to read my texts, send a text, get my calendar, check the weather, etc.

BJ

4. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

Funny. Every time I get a text message I ask Siri to read it to me and she tells me to unlock the phone first.

5. GreyOS, Sep 20, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2016

GreyOS macrumors 68030

GreyOS

Does the 'Show Previews' setting in Settings > Notifications > Messages have an effect? When that's off it stops you reading them without unlocking, so it makes sense it would stop Siri reading it too.

The other thing to investigate is whether Settings > Touch ID & Passcode > Reply With Message has any effect.

edit:did some of my own investigation and the first suggestion seems to be the culprit