Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

georgepelyva

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 9, 2010
New York City
:rolleyes:I like to use Skype with my iTouch 4 gen.The sound comes through loud and clear but I am not sure that my voice is being heard on the other end.Where exactly is the mike located on the iTouch 4?

eddy2099

macrumors member
Sep 27, 2010
Yes you can most certainly use skype on the iPod touch 4. Since it comes with a mic which is the pinhole on the back of the unit next to the rear camera.

Alternatively you can get the earphone with mic to use with the iPod touch. The built-in mic actually have quote good a pick up.

georgepelyva

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 9, 2010
New York City
Where is the mike?

Are you sure the mike is on the top part of the iTouch 4th gen?Is it not on the bottom
one of the three outlets one is the earphone jack the second is the USB connector and what is the third little elongated slot?

androiphone

macrumors 65816
Dec 13, 2009
Are you sure the mike is on the top part of the iTouch 4th gen?Is it not on the bottom
one of the three outlets one is the earphone jack the second is the USB connector and what is the third little elongated slot?

that is the speaker, the microphone is the little dot hole next to the camera

georgepelyva

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 9, 2010
New York City
That tiny dot hole

I have to believe you but it seams ridiculous that that tiny size of a pinhead dot and if one talks into it is it effective?

androiphone

macrumors 65816
Dec 13, 2009
I have to believe you but it seams ridiculous that that tiny size of a pinhead dot and if one talks into it is it effective?

not really microphones are microphones, my phone only has a tiny hole for its mic, the mic of the ipod touch is on the back because that is the best place for it to pick up sound when video recording, and it is fully capable of picking up voices from several feet (and more) away. when you are holding it close to you, like on a voip call, even if you are looking at the front of the device the mic picks up your voice perfectly well, as sound is nothing like light and can travel around corners.
surely you can see this with the ipod touch you have?

eddy2099

macrumors member
Sep 27, 2010
I did record my church sermons with the iPod touch 4 and the sound came out quite clear. I think we cannot under-estimate the current technology.

georgepelyva

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 9, 2010
New York City
its amazing

I am only concerned about a Skype telephone conversation that the party on the other end would hear me well.Anyone tried that or should I use Apples earbuds with the volume control and the mike but they are very costly.

Adisah

macrumors regular
May 29, 2008
I am only concerned about a Skype telephone conversation that the party on the other end would hear me well.Anyone tried that or should I use Apples earbuds with the volume control and the mike but they are very costly.

There are headphones that cost way more than $30 however you should be just fine with just the included microphone.

The microphone on my macbook is just a tiny whole above the display and it can pick up conversations around 5-10 feet away. I was amazed my friends could hear everything my brother was saying. I'm sure the ipod Touch's mic will impress you as well.

eddy2099

macrumors member
Sep 27, 2010
You should not have an issue with the built-in mic especially when you are using it with skype. Feel free to try the skype test call to test the mic pickup quality.

Like I said, if it can pick up the sermons on the built in mic, it should work fine with skype.

pukifloyd

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2008
Scottsdale
Is this because Skype needs to update their iOS app to support video? Or is Skype video something Apple is blocking or must allow in iOS?

Apple is not blocking skype. Its the app that needs to be updated. I use video chat feature on the yahoo messenger app and it works wonderfully.

OP, don't worry about the sound quality with the mic...its great (my friend even said that its better when I talk from my ipod rather than when I talk from my laptop).

I wish skype would update their app quickly. Video support would be awesome.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.