Can I use SL and LION?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by asukulu, Jul 24, 2011.

1. asukulu macrumors newbie

Hi, I just purchased a new macbook pro 15" 8GB 2.2ghz SSD256. It came with lion installed and Ive just found out about pro tools 9 not being compatible.
    I have snow leopard install disc as I have that installed on my older imac.
    Is there a way that I can make two partitions and run both SL and Lion on my macbook? If so how? Will it run ok?

2. zjazz macrumors 6502

Absolutely. That's exactly what happened with me, only with Logic 8. So I divided my HD into two partitions, and reinstalled SL on second partition just to use Logic. So yes, you can run both and it runs perfect. Actually being SL partition empty it feels like Logic runs even faster there.

First you have to use Disc Utility to divide the HD into two partitions. Name the second partition so you know where to install SL. Then use your SL DVD to install it to that partition. After install hold "OPTION" key to chose which partition you want to boot. And of course you will have to reinstall ProTools into it. Hope it helps.

3. asukulu thread starter macrumors newbie

Can you please tell me the steps to create this partition or perhaps direct me to a link that explains it? Will I be able to undo this partition and make one again in the future if need be?

4. Dave421 macrumors member

1st, do a full back up. If you choose the wrong disk, you're going to lose all of your information.

In your Apps, go to Utilities and then Disk Utility.
    Click on your HDD in the left column & then look for "Partition" on the right (Should say "First Aid | Erase | Partition | RAID | Restore")

Click it & then look for the + towards the bottom. It will then show a division on the right. You can drag the division to change the size or just enter the size (20-30gb should be fine if you're not going to use it much). Name the partition, keep it as "Mac OS Extended", & then hit Apply. I'd suggest a name of "Snow Leopard".

Once the partition is created, insert your SL disk & reboot while holding down the Option key. Choose the SL disk and once it's up and going, make sure that you choose your new "Snow Leopard" partition for the drive to install it on.

5. old-wiz macrumors G3

Umm... Retail Snow Leopard is unlikely to be able to install on MBPs with Thunderbolt.

A Snow Leopard restore disk (grey) from an iMac will not install on a new MBP.

6. asukulu thread starter macrumors newbie

everyone else including apple are saying I can do this. Why are you saying I cant? I have SL box set that I used to upgrade from tiger.

7. Dave421 macrumors member

I see no reason why it wouldn't. Thunderbolt & SL coexisted for several months this year so SL obviously supports it. Why do you think there would be a problem?

8. Aldaris macrumors 65816

Aldaris

Should work fine, especially since SL was standard tom the current MacBook Pro for several months.

9. old-wiz macrumors G3

It would depend on the date and version of the SL retail disk. The original SL would be 10.6.0, which predates TB. I'm not saying it wouldn't work, I'm just saying you can't guarantee it.

10. mrdma macrumors newbie

11. Pnac65 macrumors newbie

Just don't use Lion, an advise that worth a million

12. Pnac65 macrumors newbie

Lion

Just an advise Don't install "Lion" the quantity of bugs is increasing every day, even you might not be able to update your mac, your wireless connection might not work not due your connection, but due Lion, (just make the test, run your mac and any other device in the same room, it will be only mac with lion which has no connection)acad for mac not supported, I even can't open my apps anymore, parallel desktop encountering problems, well if you need more bugs to be convinced, up to you.

13. mac jones macrumors 68040

I have a whole bunch of partitions. I did a Lion one and erased it.

What a dog. Apple dropped the ball this time. Maybe in 6 to 12 months.

I mean, as if there's something wrong with SL. SL is the best thing since sliced bread compared to Lion.

(as you may have guessed, i'm down on Lion) :D

14. mr666 macrumors regular

The iMac DVD likely will not install on any MacBook Pro. I hope the original poster reports back after trying. It's also a EULA violation.

There have been pessimists shouting "dropped the ball" for every new OS version from Apple since I can remember, and my experience goes back to System 7.1. I really doubt OS 10.7 will prove to be equal to the Vista embarrassment. Microsoft had a lot of back-pedaling to do after they got cowered by the PC makers into dropping plans for UEFI based system. Apple had no similar last minute fallen soufflé to repair.