Can I use the 85W power adapter on the Air?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Luba, Oct 31, 2010.

1. Luba macrumors 6502a

Luba

Don't want to ask the Apple Store since they'll just tell me I can't, but can I use the 85W power adapter that came with the 15"MBP on the new Air with no damage? Ok, to use in a pinch?

Hmmm, how about the other way around (using a 45W power adapter on the 15"), I am thinking "no damage" just that it would take longer to re-charge??

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Yes. This has been asked a lot: search and you will see the answer is always yes. The Air will draw the power it needs, the adaptor will not (and cannot) push more.

3. barefeats macrumors 65816

barefeats

Yes.

It won't charge faster or blow up anything. Like robbieduncan says, it only draws the power it needs.

Moreover, I have magsafe power adapters all over the creation for 15" and 17" MacBook Pros that I'm using. I haven't even taken the MacBook Air power adapter out of the box yet.

4. Luba thread starter macrumors 6502a

Luba

Thanks! Why then, does Apple create 3 types of power adapters? 45W, 85W, and I think 60W, if they all work?

5. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

The larger MBPs take for ever to charge on 45W, or even 60W. So they get the 85W charger. But these are larger and heavier, hence the smaller, lighter ones where they make sense.