Can I use the Desktop in Leopard?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by jahue, Oct 16, 2007.

1. jahue macrumors newbie

I have a burning question for those who have used the beta, can I use the desktop. Im not a stacks person I tried it and its just one more step thats a pain. I want to be able to place items ( floders, drives, etc. ) on the desktop can I?

Sorry If this has been discussed I couldnt find it.

Jahue

2. Nugget macrumors 65816

Nugget

Sure, of course. That hasn't changed. Perhaps you misunderstand what stacks is.

3. WildPalms macrumors 6502a

WildPalms

I'm not sure I understand your question. Can you explain in comparison to say Tiger?

4. jahue thread starter macrumors newbie

Well I used a early beta that wouldn't allow me to drag folders or my harddrive to the desktop, so this has changed? Are you speaking from experience?

Jahue

5. Nugget macrumors 65816

Nugget

I've been running the developer builds since mid-August. I've never witnessed the bizarre behavior you're describing and it's certainly not the case in the most recent developer build.

6. jahue thread starter macrumors newbie

Simply put I want to be able to put folders and files on the desktop I would also like to download to the desktop, is this possible. Dont get me wrong I love every other feature in leopard, I just have my own organizational pattern And I dont want a software controlling that for me.

Jahue

7. Nugget macrumors 65816

Nugget

In other news, Leopard still allows you to type using your keyboard and click on things using your mouse. :p

8. WildPalms macrumors 6502a

WildPalms

Thats weird. Were you running it on an Apple Macintosh?

9. WildPalms macrumors 6502a

WildPalms

But I've heard of desktop refreshes not showing without a cache flush on *ahem" pirated copies of Leopard ;) ;)

10. jahue thread starter macrumors newbie

Why the sacasm? I have been a Mac user longer than most of the users that post here! I had and still have the Very First Macintosh, so we can dispence with the user jokes! And no I did not have a pirated copy, I work with several freinds that are part of the developer connection, I used the very first version that was handed out at WWDC. But since, I havent seen a recent build. The other thing is that I haven't seen a single screen captures showing anything on the desktop!

Jahue

11. RebelScum macrumors 6502

Not sure how the ownership of the "Very First Macintosh" exempts you from the user jokes....Sounds like SOMEONE'S living in the PAST...CONTEMPORIZE, MAAAAAN!!!

Anyway, I think that fact that you;re loading your copy of Leopard on the Very First Macintosh may be the root of your problem. I have a Vic 20 here you can hook it up to if you'd like to run a diagnostic.

PS: TOUCHYYYYY

12. WildPalms macrumors 6502a

WildPalms

Didnt mean to offend you, was just giving you the opportunity to mention it if that was the case. Its all about the troubleshooting. So you used your friends copy? But if you arent a member yourself....never mind.

Anyway, I've never seen the issue you described nor have I heard of it.

13. jahue thread starter macrumors newbie

Funny, I was pointing out that I have been following Apple since the beginning. And rest assured the my first Macintosh is no longer in use. I do howerver have a kick ass MacBook Pro C2D, I am part of the developer connection but from the web/graphic side, so I really have no need to run the beta. I am a early adopter of all Apple technology but I have sadly fallen behind due work, you know that thing that people do so they can afford the latest Mac Pro with 16 gigs of ram. Sorry I just hat to hit back at you guys, but I knew that the community would know the answer. Thanks and does anyone have a screen capture of this?

Jahue

Not offended loving the harassment!

14. WildPalms macrumors 6502a

WildPalms

What on earth do you need 16GB of ram for? What application/process is using that much?

15. RebelScum macrumors 6502

Srsly...are you controlling the Goldeneye or something?

Sice shot at my inability to afford lots of RAM. I'm gonna be sore tomorrow.

Me, I'm not much of an early adopter. Not a huge fan of paying the Stupid Tax. But hey, that's just poor, destitute me.

16. RebelScum macrumors 6502

At Any Rate

This is devolving quickly. Thx for mentioning the desktop read/write issue...if it's an issue in my install, at least I'll have been warned.