Can I use the iLife '06 on my MacBook?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by great8dane, Jan 3, 2009.

1. great8dane macrumors newbie

Goodmorning, I have owned a Mac for about 7 months and love it. A friend gave me a new sealed DVD that says iLife'06 CPU Drop-in Kit. I was wondering if it is of any use to my MacBook? I have not opened the package and don't want to install anything without knowing more. Does anyone know about the CPU Drop in DVD iLife '06 kit? Thanks for checking?

2. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

Did your Mac not come with iLife 08' already installed on it?!? The CPU Drop in DVD isn't for your Mac (assuming its a new mac) as its designed for the Mac's running the old version of Apple's Operating System, called Tiger, you should be running Leopard. Basically your computer doesnt need it as its too new for it.

3. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Your computer should have the suite of apps from iLife '08 on it.

4. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

As above, there's no sense in installing that version of iLife on your computer over whatever is on your own system install discs. The only real exception is that some users of iMovie prefer to use iMovie '06 over iMovie '08, because the architecture is very different and there are some things that can be done easily in '06 that are not readily possible in '08. If you wish to do that, the most expedient way is to just download iMovie '06 directly from Apple:

http://support.apple.com/downloads/iMovie_HD_6

5. great8dane thread starter macrumors newbie

I just went through the box I got when I purchased it. It was originally purchased in 04-07. I purchased it second hand. It is updated to Leopard. (I am so not computer smart:eek:) I found the DVD install disc in the box it says iLife'08 install dvd version 8.0. So new question will this work on my MacBook? Also, is the other DVD iLife'06 of any use to anyone, it is unopened and new. I hope I am giving you enough information. Thanks

6. great8dane thread starter macrumors newbie

I have iDVD on my MacBook what is the difference with iMovie. I am a bit confused:confused: Sorry, just checked I have iMovie already (just edited)

7. CrzyCanuck72 macrumors 6502a

iMovie is to make movies out of photos/video files, iDVD is to burn those movies (or others) onto a DVD with titles and chapters.