Can I use the Iphone 6 as a Mobile Hot Spot?

Rockies

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 4, 2011
Coming over from Android and just wondering if you can use the Iphone 6 as a Mobile Hot Spot?

golfdude

macrumors regular
Aug 5, 2005
Have ATT and one change I noticed with using it as a hotspot is that my kids iPods can join it now. Not sure when that changed, is that a 8.0 thing?

maflynn

Staff member
May 3, 2009
Boston
Coming over from Android and just wondering if you can use the Iphone 6 as a Mobile Hot Spot?
As long as your carrier allows you too. I was using my iPhone 5c this morning as a hotspot because the hotel I'm at, lost its wifi for some reason.

jlake02

macrumors 68020
Nov 2, 2008
L.A.
The hotspot is a big reason I left AT&T "unlimited" for the new plans. Now with the double data it's even a more valuable perk. :)

:apple:

Woochifer

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2007
yes, verizon offers that feature for free. T-mobile and AT-T you need to pay additionally.
Not correct. T-Mobile includes mobile hotspot/tethering with all their current postpaid plans. And even though T-Mobile made no announcement, they activated tethering at no additional cost for prepaid plans a few months ago as well.

rui no onna

macrumors G3
Oct 25, 2013
Have ATT and one change I noticed with using it as a hotspot is that my kids iPods can join it now. Not sure when that changed, is that a 8.0 thing?
It's an iOS 4 or 5 thing. Can't remember which one exactly. :rolleyes: However, it's only allowed on plans with personal hotspot support (e.g. More Everything, Mobile Share, $30 add-on for UDP, tiered data 4+GB, etc).

Arnezie

macrumors 65816
Oct 10, 2011
Not sure about the 6 but it used to suck the heck out of my 5S battery, too!

I stopped doing it when purchased the 128gb Air with AT&T cellular.

Try to tether with Bluetooth and not wifi. Much better on the battery.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.