Can I use the Laptop while calibrating?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by tMac85, Feb 11, 2008.

1. tMac85 macrumors 65816

tMac85

Im only talking about when its re-charging. Should I leave the laptop lid shut or can i play on it while its getting back up to 100%

I wont unplug it.

Thanks guys

2. iBecks macrumors 6502

3. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Of course you can use it. It may slow down your charge time because your drawing power out of the machine as power is going in, but other than that... no problem what so ever.

4. Jiddick ExRex macrumors 65816

Jiddick ExRex

Out of curiosity, what did you think would be wrong with it? :)

5. tMac85 thread starter macrumors 65816

tMac85

haha, well on the apple site it says allow to completely die and then charge over night. So i thought, you want the battery to just charge with out messing with it.

the only reason is, i have used it while charging before and got bad calibration results. ( capacity dropped) so i thought maybe you had to just leave it be.

just thought i would ask to be safe.

thanks guys!

6. GfulDedFan macrumors 65816

GfulDedFan

Actually the time period to wait is once you've discharged the battery, you should leave it off for some hours which could be overnite. I like to give it at least 5 hours. So it's:

1. Plug in the power adapter and fully charge your PowerBook's battery until the light ring or LED on the power adapter plug changes to green and the onscreen meter in the menu bar indicates that the battery is fully charged.

2. Allow the battery to rest in the fully charged state for at least two hours. You may use your computer during this time as long as the adapter is plugged in.

3. Disconnect the power adapter with the computer still on and start running the computer off battery power. You may use your computer during this time. When your battery gets low, you will see the low battery warning dialog on the screen.

4. Continue to keep your computer on until it goes to sleep. Save all your work and close all applications when the battery gets very low, before the computer goes to sleep.

5. Turn off the computer or allow it to sleep for five hours or more.

6. Connect the power adapter and leave it connected until the battery is fully charged again. (You can use it during this time)

Tip: When the battery reaches "empty", the computer is forced into sleep mode. The battery actually keeps back a reserve beyond "empty", to maintain the computer in sleep for a period of time. Once the battery is truly exhausted, the computer is forced to shut down. At this point, with the safe sleep function introduced in the PowerBook G4 (15-inch Double-Layer SD) computers, the computer's memory contents have been saved to the hard drive. When power is restored, the computer returns itself to its pre-sleep state using the safe sleep image on the hard drive.

Hope this helps -GDF

7. tMac85 thread starter macrumors 65816

tMac85

Thanks ill try that. ITs just such a long process. I mean letting it die til the light goes off takes around 5 hours, and then another 5 hours off... i guess its a start it at dinner. plug in to charge the next morning, process.

8. iatropoul macrumors newbie

Details for step 3

Step 3 says:With the computer still on, disconnect the power adapter, and continue to use your computer. Is it ok to permit the sleep mode during this step? Or should I force the computer to be constantly on deactivating the sleep mode?