Can I use the word 'Mac' in a company name?

Discussion in 'Apple, Inc and Tech Industry' started by Vorgot, Dec 10, 2011.

1. Vorgot macrumors newbie

New of here, but this seemed like a good place to ask this question. I'm setting up a new business that will be doing 2 things. iOS development (as a side to start with) and support of individuals and businesses in my area for Apple computers and networks. I will be very specifically targeting Mac users and Mac enabled businesses. I want to call the company XX Mac Consulting, where XX will be my initials, but am worried that this is not allowed as per Apple's legal site

Sure some people on here must have set up similar things, any advice for me?

2. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

from that, it seems like you would be in agreement. However, that is my personal opinion as I have no professional experience in that matter

3. boss.king macrumors 68040

boss.king

My guess: if you use Mac, at some point Apple will sue the bejezus out of you, even if your product is entirely unrelated.

4. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

Same guess here.

Consulting a lawyer is OK, as long as the lawyer has intimate knowledge of Apple's litigious nature.

This may be really dumb - but what about calling Apple Corporate and asking someone in Marketing or Legal.

Good luck...:).

5. Vorgot thread starter macrumors newbie

Getting in touch with Apple is what I am now doing. I just wondered if anyone around here had done this already

6. Heilage macrumors 68030

Heilage

MacSales does it? (the OWC guys)

I suppose it shouldn't be a problem, but remember that they might tell you that it's just fine, and then turn around and sue you so hard even your grandkids will be in debt. :)

7. Vorgot thread starter macrumors newbie

I've got in touch with their trademark guys, I should hear from them Monday.

8. *LTD* macrumors G4

*LTD*

Agreed. This would be the obvious move.

9. AppleScruff1 macrumors G3

AppleScruff1

Apple has even sued people whose last name is MacDonald and is currently seeking an injunction against McDonald's due to the Big Mac.

10. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

Are you sure that's not just a silly rumor? McDonald's is big enough to fight them indefinitely. Also they preceded Apple by decades, so Apple would never win that one.

You're incorrect.

Also incorrect.

Bleh Apple doesn't have sole ownership of the syllable "mac", actually they may have it trademarked although I haven't checked, but many businesses use the term in a fair manner without tarnishing the brand in anyway, which would be the main concern anyway.

McDonalds has the Big Mac.

OWC has macsales. There's melrose mac here. There was another one in Hollywood, and one in West Los Angeles, but I can't remember the names. They had Mac in them though.

Mac Mall is another, and there's Mac Gurus, but I don't think that's the company name but rather just one of their site portals.

Apple is not the only one who uses the word Mac, and Apple suing everyone lately is ridiculous. Most of that junk should just be solved by sitting down and comparing patents to figure out who pays who or if money should even change hands, rather than tying up court systems in several countries.

End rant portion of post :D

11. kainjow Moderator emeritus

kainjow

Um, the website you're currently on is an LLC and uses Mac. ;)

Same with MacUpdate.

Either way, depending on how much $$$ you're going to invest into this company, best to consult a lawyer first.

AFAIK, that's just their domain name, not their company name.

12. MacFan782040 macrumors 6502a

MacFan782040

Ridiculous. At least post a somewhat believable link when you write bogus stuff.

13. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

I think (s)he's kidding....

14. maril1111 macrumors 68000

maril1111

haha some people are trying hard to be funny today, like the mbp guy who wants to open his air using ball-peen hammer and a wood mold.

15. AppleScruff1 macrumors G3

AppleScruff1

:D:D:D

I can't help it if you guys have no sense of humor.

16. Vorgot thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for all the input guys. As some have said, Apple will allow you to use Mac as long as it satisfies the rules that I posted at the start. I've got in touch with Apple's trademark team and should be speaking to them this week, so I'll sort it then. As my business will be concentrated on Macs it shouldn't be an issue, I just wanted to be 100% clear.

17. hyungsup macrumors member

Ever heard of the brand mackintosh?
    Well that brand name is usually shortened and we call it a mac.
    It's a raincoat.
    Maybe that's why Apple cannot sue people who uses the name Mac when they are in a different business.

18. Heilage macrumors 68030

Heilage

The magic of the internets:
    Source: http://www.apple.com/legal/trademark/guidelinesfor3rdparties.html

19. vitzr macrumors 68030

vitzr

20. LostSoul80 macrumors 68020

LostSoul80

I think it's up to any interpretation as those terms are not enough to put a clear limit to what one can use.
    You'll be likely hit if your business succeeds, unless Apple is ok with it now (will that matter in the near future?).
    Good luck. Let us know how it goes.

21. Vorgot thread starter macrumors newbie

I think, as MD is non-generic, that I will be OK. But as I want to sign up for the Apple Consultant Network, I have to make sure they are definitely OK with this :) I'll let you know when I hear back from Apple.