Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Vorgot

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 10, 2011
New of here, but this seemed like a good place to ask this question. I'm setting up a new business that will be doing 2 things. iOS development (as a side to start with) and support of individuals and businesses in my area for Apple computers and networks. I will be very specifically targeting Mac users and Mac enabled businesses. I want to call the company XX Mac Consulting, where XX will be my initials, but am worried that this is not allowed as per Apple's legal site

2. You may use “Mac” in your product name, company name, trade name, or service name provided your name satisfies the following criteria:

a. Your product is not a computer, computer system, or operating system software.

b. Your product is Mac compatible or the third party business is associated with Mac based computers.

c. “Mac” is used in combination with another non-generic word.

Acceptable: MacVenus MacCharlie

Not acceptable: MacCharleston MacSales

Sure some people on here must have set up similar things, any advice for me?

boss.king

macrumors 603
Apr 8, 2009
My guess: if you use Mac, at some point Apple will sue the bejezus out of you, even if your product is entirely unrelated.

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
My guess: if you use Mac, at some point Apple will sue the bejezus out of you, even if your product is entirely unrelated.

Same guess here.

Consulting a lawyer is OK, as long as the lawyer has intimate knowledge of Apple's litigious nature.

This may be really dumb - but what about calling Apple Corporate and asking someone in Marketing or Legal.

Good luck...:).

Vorgot

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 10, 2011
Same guess here.

Consulting a lawyer is OK, as long as the lawyer has intimate knowledge of Apple's litigious nature.

This may be really dumb - but what about calling Apple Corporate and asking someone in Marketing or Legal.

Good luck...:).

Getting in touch with Apple is what I am now doing. I just wondered if anyone around here had done this already

Heilage

macrumors 68030
May 1, 2009
MacSales does it? (the OWC guys)

I suppose it shouldn't be a problem, but remember that they might tell you that it's just fine, and then turn around and sue you so hard even your grandkids will be in debt. :)

Vorgot

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 10, 2011

I suppose it shouldn't be a problem, but remember that they might tell you that it's just fine, and then turn around and sue you so hard even your grandkids will be in debt. :)

I've got in touch with their trademark guys, I should hear from them Monday.

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
Apple has even sued people whose last name is MacDonald and is currently seeking an injunction against McDonald's due to the Big Mac.

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
Apple has even sued people whose last name is MacDonald and is currently seeking an injunction against McDonald's due to the Big Mac.

Are you sure that's not just a silly rumor? McDonald's is big enough to fight them indefinitely. Also they preceded Apple by decades, so Apple would never win that one.

You're incorrect.

Same guess here.

Also incorrect.

Bleh Apple doesn't have sole ownership of the syllable "mac", actually they may have it trademarked although I haven't checked, but many businesses use the term in a fair manner without tarnishing the brand in anyway, which would be the main concern anyway.

McDonalds has the Big Mac.

OWC has macsales. There's melrose mac here. There was another one in Hollywood, and one in West Los Angeles, but I can't remember the names. They had Mac in them though.

Mac Mall is another, and there's Mac Gurus, but I don't think that's the company name but rather just one of their site portals.

Apple is not the only one who uses the word Mac, and Apple suing everyone lately is ridiculous. Most of that junk should just be solved by sitting down and comparing patents to figure out who pays who or if money should even change hands, rather than tying up court systems in several countries.

End rant portion of post :D

kainjow

Moderator emeritus
Jun 15, 2000
Um, the website you're currently on is an LLC and uses Mac. ;)

Same with MacUpdate.

Either way, depending on how much $$$ you're going to invest into this company, best to consult a lawyer first.

AFAIK, that's just their domain name, not their company name.

Vorgot

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 10, 2011
Thanks for all the input guys. As some have said, Apple will allow you to use Mac as long as it satisfies the rules that I posted at the start. I've got in touch with Apple's trademark team and should be speaking to them this week, so I'll sort it then. As my business will be concentrated on Macs it shouldn't be an issue, I just wanted to be 100% clear.

hyungsup

macrumors member
Jul 11, 2009
Ever heard of the brand mackintosh?
Well that brand name is usually shortened and we call it a mac.
It's a raincoat.
Maybe that's why Apple cannot sue people who uses the name Mac when they are in a different business.

Heilage

macrumors 68030
May 1, 2009
The magic of the internets:
The Mac Trademark

1. You may not use the Mac trademark standing alone except to denote or refer to the Apple Macintosh product line.

2. You may use “Mac” in your product name, company name, trade name, or service name provided your name satisfies the following criteria:

a. Your product is not a computer, computer system, or operating system software.

b. Your product is Mac compatible or the third party business is associated with Mac based computers.

c. “Mac” is used in combination with another non-generic word.

Acceptable: MacVenus MacCharlie

Not acceptable: MacCharleston MacSales

d. “Mac” does not appear more prominently than the rest of the name in size, color, or typeface.

e. Your name does not suggest a false association with Apple.

f. Your name is not confusingly similar to any trademark owned or used by Apple.

g. You acknowledge that Apple is the sole owner of the “Mac” trademark and that you will not interfere with Apple’s use or registration of “Mac” alone or in combination with other words.

h. If you are an Apple Authorized Reseller or member of an Apple program, you may be subject to additional restrictions.

Source: http://www.apple.com/legal/trademark/guidelinesfor3rdparties.html

LostSoul80

macrumors 68020
Jan 25, 2009
I think it's up to any interpretation as those terms are not enough to put a clear limit to what one can use.
You'll be likely hit if your business succeeds, unless Apple is ok with it now (will that matter in the near future?).
Good luck. Let us know how it goes.

Vorgot

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 10, 2011
I think it's up to any interpretation as those terms are not enough to put a clear limit to what one can use.
You'll be likely hit if your business succeeds, unless Apple is ok with it now (will that matter in the near future?).
Good luck. Let us know how it goes.

I think, as MD is non-generic, that I will be OK. But as I want to sign up for the Apple Consultant Network, I have to make sure they are definitely OK with this :) I'll let you know when I hear back from Apple.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.