Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jackonicko

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 10, 2002
High Key to Hades
I've been given a LaCie (FA Porsche) DVD±RW 4x double layer 8.5 GB USB2 DVD writer, without software. It was obviously intended for PC use, but it can be used as a DVD ROM drive on the Mac as is, what would I need to use it for burning data DVDs, if that is possible, and where might I obtain that in the UK?

iPhil

macrumors 68040
Jackonicko said:
I've been given a LaCie (FA Porsche) DVD±RW 4x double layer 8.5 GB USB2 DVD writer, without software. It was obviously intended for PC use, but it can be used as a DVD ROM drive on the Mac as is, what would I need to use it for burning data DVDs, if that is possible, and where might I obtain that in the UK?

If your Mac is a G4 733mhz system then yes it'll burn dvds but little bit slower since its usb 2.0 .. if you got iLife 06 too then iDvd might see the drive then you can use iDvd to burn if not then, If the drive shows up you could use the finder burn feature :eek: :eek:

killmoms

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2003
Durham, NC
The drive is probably supported through PatchBurn, a utility that allows third-party optical media writers to be used with the built-in burning capabilities of OS X (Finder, Disk Utility, etc.) and iTunes. The new iDVD '06 supports third-party drives by default without PatchBurn (as does DVD Studio Pro, I believe), but for the other stuff you'll probably still need it.

alexstein

macrumors 6502a
Aug 23, 2004
Apple supports third Party natively since Tiger and iLive'05. I pretty sure you are good to go. You could always check out lacie's website and there is always patchburn as mentioned before.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.