Can I use this to charge my iPhone & iPad?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by The.316, Aug 26, 2015.

1. The.316 macrumors 65816

The.316

im painting my place, and doing some renovations as well, and I wanted to add one of these to my bedroom:

[​IMG]

And here is the specs:

[​IMG]

I wanted to get a couple of these, because the seem convenient, but I don't want to it to mess with my iPad, or when I upgrade my iPhone in the coming weeks.

2. Mcmeowmers macrumors 6502

I believe those specs are the same as the iPad charger. It will charge your iPhone faster too

I have a similar product and it works great. I don't notice any heating of the battery. Just get a reputable brand when you do pick it up

3. Mcmeowmers macrumors 6502

But you'll have to worry about your iPad syncing to the electric company's iTunes account :p

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

That will work fine and won't hurt your iOS devices. I use a similar setup in the US.

5. firedept macrumors 603

firedept

Have similar throughout my home in Canada and find them to be great. As mentioned already, make sure you buy a decent brand. I would not cheap out on these.

6. The.316 thread starter macrumors 65816

The.316

What brand do you guys use, and what was the price? I found them for 10€ ($12) each. Thanks for the replies.

7. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

http://fastmac.com/usocket.php

I have this one I bought about four years ago when this was kind of a new thing. I think you can find other brands for less now.

8. Mcmeowmers macrumors 6502

I cannot remember the brand but it was likely purchased at Costco or Rona. Prices range from $17-27. As opposed to a regular cheapo outlet for $3. These are Canadian prices by the way

9. The.316 thread starter macrumors 65816

The.316

Thanks for the link. I live in Europe, so Im going to need one with the European plug, like the one on my original post. Im going to try one of those out for $10, and maybe have a friend of mine, who is an electrician, check it out.

10. firedept macrumors 603

firedept

Here is the one I use. Same as Weaselboy. Have never had any problems with them. I have a dozen of them in my home.

11. rigormortis, Sep 3, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2015

rigormortis macrumors 68000

rigormortis

the deal is it says 2.1 a in total. meaning that both ports cant be both 2.1amps at the same time.

if you charge an iPad and an iPhone 6 at the same time, its incapable of charging both at the same time at 2.1amps

so it will probably charge them slower then 2 iPad chargers. its probably 2 iPhone chargers.

i wonder if its 1000 ma per usb port max or is it 2100 ma on 1 usb jack ?? or is it 1600 ma on one jack at 500 ma on the other ?

iPads don't like 500 ma

if they both have a 1000 ma limit at the same time, then thats fine it will just take longer to charge your iPad

the iPhone 6 and 6 plus are the first iPhones that will take 5 v @ 2.1 amps , just like an iPad.