Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vmachiel

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 15, 2011
Holland
Hi,

So I have a weird question. I have a Time Capsule (the latest one) in a box here. I already have a pretty good router and a killer access point (ubiquity). I don't need it's router functionality. Can I change settings or put new software on it, that's just make it a media server? I want to put stuff on there and stream it to my devices.

Thanks!

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
So I have a weird question. I have a Time Capsule (the latest one) in a box here. I already have a pretty good router and a killer access point (ubiquity). I don't need it's router functionality. Can I change settings or put new software on it, that's just make it a media server? I want to put stuff on there and stream it to my devices.

Yes. You can disable the wireless and give it a static IP on your network. Then disable the network routing and place it into "Bridge Mode". From there you can use the "Disks" pane in AirPort Utility to control the Time Capsule as a NAS. Keep in mind that you will be limited speed wise hosting files off the Time Capsule compared to a "true NAS".

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.