Can I use Time Capsule as a media server only?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Server, Xserve, and Networking' started by vmachiel, Aug 4, 2016.

1. vmachiel macrumors 68000

Hi,

So I have a weird question. I have a Time Capsule (the latest one) in a box here. I already have a pretty good router and a killer access point (ubiquity). I don't need it's router functionality. Can I change settings or put new software on it, that's just make it a media server? I want to put stuff on there and stream it to my devices.

Thanks!

2. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Yes. You can disable the wireless and give it a static IP on your network. Then disable the network routing and place it into "Bridge Mode". From there you can use the "Disks" pane in AirPort Utility to control the Time Capsule as a NAS. Keep in mind that you will be limited speed wise hosting files off the Time Capsule compared to a "true NAS".

3. vmachiel thread starter macrumors 68000

4. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

No problem! Report back if you have any questions and with how it all goes...

5. Undecided macrumors 6502a

Including the delay from spinning up the hard drive, because the time capsule will keep shutting it down.

6. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Most NASs offer some sort of a spin down to save power and wear on the drives. I would not call that a complaint or downfall with the Time Capsule.