Can I use Time Capsule for my Wii wifi connection

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by SMcGill, Mar 16, 2008.

1. SMcGill macrumors newbie

I was wondering if I could connect a Nintendo Wii to the wireless network provided by Time Capsule. I don't have either yet, but before I buy, I wanted to know if this would work. If not, I guess I would just need to get a wireless router that is compatible with the Wii. Thanks for the help. I am also looking to get an iMac.

2. mr.stinki macrumors 6502

You should have no problems. Time Capsule is a router with a network HDD attached.

3. ejrizo macrumors 6502

ejrizo

i recently upgraded to a Time Capsule and set it up and it works with:

1. MacBook Pro
    2. iPhone
    3. Nintendo Wii
    4. Wired iMac
    5. Wired PS2

now i was thinking of setting up my old (NetGear) router to one of the ports on the time capsule and turining that into a "G" only router so it can give just the iphone and nintendo Wii access and use the time capsule "N" feature for just my MacBook Pro and Wired iMac and Wired PS2.

but as its set up it works great right now just dont want the "N" to go to waste by using "G" products on it but it will only affect file transfers not internet speed

4. skorpien macrumors 68020

ejrizo, I have done exactly what you have said you're thinking of doing, and it's working great (and was easy to set up). I have a Linksys WRT54GS acting as a b/g gateway (hidden SSID) for my non-N devices, including my Wii, iPod Touch and PSP. And as I'm getting ~270 Mbps posted speeds on my MBP, I think it's worth it to have that speed w/o slowing things down when a b/g device accesses the network.

SMcGill, before I set up my b/g gateway, I tried all my current b/g devices with the TC and they all work. Just make sure you don't have it set to wireless N only (obviously). I was also pleased to see that the Wii works with the TC's WPA2 security as it had issues with an old D-Link router I had (WBR-2310)

5. SMcGill thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for all of the information. It sounds like everything on the network is downsized to "g" when you add the wii. I have never set up a wireless network in my home, but figured since I was remodeling now, it would be a good time to upgrade. I will re-read your posts and see if I can figure out how you are separating the g from the n.

6. skorpien macrumors 68020

You're right, any N network will slow down to G speeds when a G device is accessing it (or B speeds with a B device). It's just how it works to preserve compatibility. Lowest common denominator. What I've done and what ejrizo is talking about is having a b/g router connected to a LAN port on the TC and acting as a b/g gateway strictly for b/g devices (N devices can still access it, but they won't get N speeds). Just force your TC to be N only to make sure there are no slowdowns (5 GHz would be good so it doesn't interfere with the b/g gateway and to get the higher posted speeds with your N devices).

7. coopermac macrumors member

I am waiting for my TC to arrive, from what I've read so far then using TC with a "g" wifi modem/router should be like this:

Connect the modem/router to whatever means you use for internet connection e.g telephone line.
    Ethernet cable from modem/router LAN port to TC Wan port.
    Enable modem/router for "g" wifi.
    Enable TC for "n" only.

This should allow "g" only to connect with the modem/router without affecting the "n" enabled devices you have connected to TC. You will still be able to connect other devices to the LANs of both the TC and modem/router without causing problems to either "g" of "n" networks.

This seems the simplest way unless someone knows that this won't work!

8. skorpien macrumors 68020

You've nailed it. This should work just fine.

9. Zoowatch macrumors 6502

yes, i have been using it with Wii for a few weeks with no problem at all.

10. amiroo79 macrumors newbie

So, when you add the Wii to the network, it will slow it down as it is a "G" enabled device. But, what if the Wii is not accessing the TC at the moment? Will it still be downgraded to "G" only or is it only when the devices are actively using it?

So, basically, is the lowest common denominator calculated when the devices are added to the network or when they are actually using it? (i.e. if the Wii is off, is the TC in "N" mode with my MacBook?)

Thanks!
    Amir

11. skorpien macrumors 68020

I'm not entirely sure, though I think it might be only when the device is actively accessing the network. One way to check it would be to check transmit rates on your MB while the Wii is off, on and actively accessing the network. Option-click the WiFi "fan" on your menu bar on your MB and it will list the transmit rate. N-rates are 130 Mbps in 2.4 GHz and 300 Mbps in 5 GHz (which currently only works in wireless-n only 5 GHz mode) and G-rates are 54 Mbps. Also, if you're getting 54 Mbps while the Wii is off, it could be because of Wii Connect being on. Let me know what you find out!

12. ToastyEwok macrumors newbie

So using the above scenario then, I can use my Wii, PS3, DS, PSP, and iPhone to all connect to my G D-Link Router I have, and use my MacBook to connect to the TC for N speeds. Is that correct? Is there really that big of a difference if I am just browsing the internet with my macbook on the TC over the G Router?

If the TC goes thru the Modem/Router for Internet Connection, is there any special setting you have to configure?

13. skorpien macrumors 68020

That should work just fine. Though you have to keep in mind that the D-Link router has to have WEP security for the DS to be able to connect to Nintendo WFC.

From the sounds of it, your D-Link is both a modem and router, correct? If that's the case, then set your Time Capsule to bridge mode by going into Internet > Internet Connection > Connection Sharing > Off (Bridge Mode).

There won't be much of a difference between G and N if you're just surfing the web. Most ISPs don't provide speeds that would surpass 52 Mbps unless you're paying a lot for it (mine's only a 5 Mbps connection). The N network has a better advantage when transfering files from one computer to another over the network, or when accessing network storage devices.

14. ToastyEwok macrumors newbie

Actually my d-link is just a wifi router, I have my DSL modem plugged into it. So will I still have to do bridge mode? If its not going to be much faster as far as web browsing is concerned, the I might just use the TC for everything.

But since my router now is using WEP for my DS, will using the TC for only my computer on a stronger encrytion be better? Or not since the TC would be directly plugged into the d-link?

15. skorpien macrumors 68020

If you want to keep the D-Link as the main router, then I would set the TC to run in bridge mode. Then set the TC to run in wireless-n only 5 GHz mode, and the D-Link in b/g. This way, the TC can have WPA2 encryption and N speeds, and the D-Link can have WEP and allow b/g connections without slowing down N devices. You can also hide the D-Link's SSID so others can't see your b/g network (a good idea since WEP can be hacked). Just remember the SSID you gave your b/g network when you want to add devices onto it since you'll have to do so manually as the SSID won't be broadcast.