Can I use Time Machine for 2 Macs on 1 External?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Djready1202, Aug 4, 2011.

1. Djready1202 macrumors newbie

I have an iMac & a MacBook Pro and I want to know if I can use Time Machine for both on one external HD? I have an iomega ego 1TB hooked up to a Airport Extreme Base Station. Embarrassing but I'm new to the whole External HD process and Time Machine. Thanks for any help you can offer.

2. benjaminaho macrumors member

benjaminaho

I'm not to good with network drives, but I know that you can use one external hard drive for two computers. I use a 1TB for only one computer, but the backups are organized like so (at least for my G-Drive): G-DRIVE/Backups.backupdb/[USERNAME]'s MacBook Pro. Now I suppose that in Backups.backupdb you can store multiple computers, the only thing I don't know is how to set it up on a network, but it's possible.:)

3. apunkrockmonk macrumors 6502a

apunkrockmonk

I use one Hard Drive for 3 separate machines' backups and it works fine.

My set up is a little different cause it's an internal drive in a server on my network but I don't see you having any issues setting up two machines to back up to that drive.

4. radnuke macrumors newbie

Iomega wireless Time Machine

I use the Iomega Home Network Cloud Edition hard drive. I back up 3 Macs to it without any problems. Just a couple of things you should keep in mind, though:
    1. You said you have a 1 Tb hard drive. Space may become a consideration if you go beyond 2 machines. I wouldn't store other stuff on there while using it to back up the 2 you have.

2. If you upgrade to Lion you need to download the latest Iomega firmware (I would recommend that anyway.) Once you upgrade the firmware (following their instructions carefully), you should have no problems whatsoever.

Hope this helps,

Jimmy :apple: