Can I use Time Machine over eSATA

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by jb60606, Mar 24, 2008.

1. jb60606 macrumors 6502a

2. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

I don't think TM cares what kind of drive, so long as it's a read/write volume.

3. Diode macrumors 68020

Diode

I'm assuming you have a mac pro with a esata host controller card? If so it should work just fine.

4. jb60606 thread starter macrumors 6502a

sorry - yes, it's a late February Mac Pro (2x 2.8Ghz Quad XEON). The reason I ask is because, at first glance, I was under the impression that only an external USB/Firewire drive could be recognized by TM. Internal hard drives could only be used in addition to my current external USB drive. I'm probably mistaken.

5. shokunin macrumors regular

Keep in mind that the eSATA cable is just a cable. The motherboard does not support hot-swap so your external drives need to be powered on when you boot. The drives won't be recognized after bootup if you tried to plug in an external drive using the eSATA bracket. I use a Sonnet Tempo E4P PCI-e 4 port eSATA controller to use for additional external drives.

6. padmavyuha macrumors newbie

Just to clarify - I have a MBP, and I'm getting an expresscard eSata card for it (I've never used eSata before). Is this different from USB/FW, where you can plug in a drive with the OS up and running, and it just mounts the volume/s?

But assuming you've got the drive mounted in eSata, Time Machine is happy to use that drive as it's backup target?

- padmavyuha

7. RRutter macrumors 6502

Maybe this post will help you.

Hope it does. As for the eSata question, my answer would be I do believe it is possible to use eSata. I would recommend you would rather use FireWire, if you do have the decision. FireWire is so much faster.

8. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

Seriously, dude - if you don't know what you're talking about, you shouldn't say anything. You've also said that MKV was video "format", not a container, and now you're saying FW is faster than eSATA?

9. RRutter macrumors 6502

Yah, I thought this forum was here to ask questions. I didn't think it was a container. I believe FireWire is tons faster. So have a nice day, cutiepie. :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

10. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

I think you have eSATA mixed up with USB. eSATA is much faster than firewire.

11. RRutter macrumors 6502

Opinions are magnificent. Thanks for not being so ridiculously rude like so many other people on this forum though. Maybe I have them mixed up, but I'm 99.99% sure I don't. K? THX!

12. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

Whoa! Bud, what'd I do to you? I was just clarifying that firewire is not faster than eSATA...

sorry :confused:

13. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

Questions are fine and you'll be treated respectfully if you ask them. But you make pronouncements that are factually wrong, and that's how your get hammered.

Judging by your exchange with the other poster, I suspect you didn't know how video files are assembled, thus what a container even was.

But you're wrong. FW400 is 400 mbps. FW800 is 800 mbps. My eSATA is 3 gbps. The math is pretty easy.

Uh, yeah. Right.

I sure hope it's not "Bud" but "ma'am" because s/he just called me cutiepie. :eek:

14. jb60606 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I ended up going with eSATA.

From the benchmarks I've seen on the web, eSATA is faster than FW-800 in almost all regards though the results, of course, can be diminished by other factors such as the eSATA controller or hard drive itself. I'm using the internal SATA extender mentioned in the original post, so that wasn't a problem.

Thanks

15. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

judging by my signature perhaps I'm a little biased in calling him/her/it Bud.

16. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

Yeah, I nearly added "Not that there's anything wrong with that!" :eek:

17. nanofrog macrumors G4

Interface Bandwidth:
    FW800 is 800Mb/s = 100MB/s
    eSATA is 3.0Gb/s or 3000Mb/s = 375MB/s
    (Mb/8 = MB)

Easy. :)