Can I use two external displays with the Air?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by cmm, Mar 16, 2014.

1. cmm macrumors 6502a

I saw a page on arstechnica (or anandtech) where they had a dual monitor setup connected to the air. Is this possible?

I have a 27 Apple Cinema Display (2560x1440) and a Dell U3011 (2560x1600). Can I somehow use both of these external displays connected to the 13 inch Air?

Finally, can I keep my Air open and have three screens?

If not, I'm gonna have to go for the 13 rMBP...

2. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

The Air has just one Thunderbolt port. So - you could connect two Thunderbolt displays. You can use each of the displays that you mentioned, but not at the same time. A new rMBP will have two thunderbolt ports, and should let you use your existing displays together.

3. cmm thread starter macrumors 6502a

Okay, thanks, I guess I'll be going with the Pro then.

4. phositadc macrumors 6502

Search the forum broseph. There are 2 pretty good threads on this exact topic for the last 2 or 3 days.

5. kearmith macrumors newbie

Doc!

Hello there,

Il'l bring that tread alive because this forum help me so much. I'm IT coordonator and Apple start raining into the research center 2 years ago.

So: I just finished to install dual monitor on MBC trought USB 3. I know here it's about MBA, but the solution work fine for all Apple laptop.

The solution for DUAL external monitor in over HD resolution is TARGUS USB 3 universal dock station model ACP70USZ (140$ us). Compatible with PC and APPLE.

On the fisrt installation, it was not working weel with 2 ASUS 27" monitor .

TARGUS release on october 14 the 2.3 version of display link software and all set up was working well as expected.

I also deploy a an Ergotron Dual arm with that setup and it's look prety nice