Can I use two PCIe Cards with 3 HD's

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Marcosmach, May 6, 2015.

1. Marcosmach macrumors newbie

Can I run one Apricorn solo X2 on slot #3 (boot system only) and a second one on slot #2? The second is the velo-duo with a 2X 2.5" seagate 2TB each for media (Final Cut and Lightroom)? Also, by having two PCIe cards like these with so many drives, will it slow down the computer?
    If so, what would be the best configuration since I have both cards? I can also only use one if this is not a good idea

If I install the velocity-duo on #2, it will cover part of the video card fan. The solo X2 on number#2 will not since its shorter.

My Mac Pro is 2010

Thanks in advance

2. flowrider macrumors 601

flowrider

The answer is maybe. See my posts below.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1721573&highlight=velocity&page=9

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1721573&highlight=velocity&page=10

Lou

3. Marcosmach thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you Lou for the links.

I sounds a little overwhelming what I trying to do based on so many pros and cons.
    Maybe I'll make things simple and install the solo x2 on my old MP 1.1 and just leave the newer velocity-duo on the my second MP with one SSD only untill I buy a second SSD to match my existing one and have both on the same card for my system only.

4. hfg macrumors 68040

hfg

Just curious here ... but why are you running a pair of 2.5" hard disks on the DUO x2? Why wouldn't you use standard 3.5" drives in the drive bays? I wouldn't think the SATA II vs. SATA III would make much difference with hard disks, while using 7200rpm vs 5400rpm drives would be noticeable.

If you do encounter a booting problem with the Solo x2, you might consider putting your OS X boot disk on the DUO card, along with one of the hard disks ... and then put the other hard disk on the SOLO x2 card.

5. Marcosmach thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks HFG
    This is what have,
    On bay 1 I have an SSD with Mavericks that I need to keep. Bays 2, 3 and 4 I have 3x 3TB on each for pictures, FCX movies and music.
    My external drives are backups only.
    I thought it would be ok to run the 2.5" HD on the card and the fact that is connected to the PCIe cards it would make up for the drives being 5400 RPM.