Can I use Verizon iphone 5 to travel abroad by replacing sim card?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jetlagged, Sep 12, 2014.

1. jetlagged macrumors 6502

I currently own an iPhone 5 64 gb, bought it at full price on November 2012 so that I could keep my unlimited data plan. I'm with Verizon Wireless. I'm going to get my phone unlocked, but not sure what the process is how to do so. Can anybody tell me how to get my phone unlocked for free? Do i Just call Verizon?

I plan to travel this December to Thailand, and then later travel to Australia. And I understand that since Verizon uses a CDMA band, that it won't really work overseas. I don't have any plans to use roaming anyways since it is so expensive. What I plan to do is buy a local sim card for that specific country and use it on the phone.

Now I'm wondering since this is a Verizon phone which uses CDMA, and world phones tend to use GSM, is it possible to replace the sim card and still make calls/data, as long as my phone is unlocked?

There's a lot of information online regarding ATT iphones, and being able to use it abroad as long as it is unlocked, but not so much regarding Verizon iphones when it comes to using it abroad and using the local sim card. That's one of the reasons I posted this topic.

any tips and advice is appreciated.

2. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Yes, the sim slot is unlocked in the VZW model. It's different than the ATT model b/c VZW uses CDMA in the US.

3. jetlagged thread starter macrumors 6502

So I can just pop in a different local foreign carrier sim card abroad and be able to make calls and stuff?