Can I use wifi only before activating cellular?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by bollweevil, Sep 12, 2014.

1. bollweevil macrumors 6502

I preordered an iPhone 6 Plus, and I currently own an iPhone 5. My carrier is AT&T in the US.

When my new phone arrives, I may want to use it as a wifi-only device for several days before committing fully and transferring my AT&T voice and cellular data from the old phone to the new phone. Can I do that? Can I use the new phone like an iPod Touch, basically? Or is the phone unusable unless I activate the cellular plan?

Thanks.

2. spazma7ik macrumors 6502a

Just take the SIM card out before powering it on and you can use it like an iPod touch.

3. bollweevil thread starter macrumors 6502

Do I need to take the SIM card out? I feel like that invariably leaves little scratches.

4. rritterson macrumors 6502

If you already have service with AT&T, just swap the SIM from the 5 into the 6. If you don't like it, swap the SIM in the device already back and return it. It will activate cellular with the SIM.

And, if you're careful, swapping sims leaves no scratches or traces.

5. bollweevil thread starter macrumors 6502

Question 1: Are you sure that removing the SIM card before powering it on will enable me to use it like an iPod? I do not plan to put in the old phone's SIM card, I plan to leave it SIM-less.

Question 2: Is there no other way?

Thanks.

6. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

Nope. No other way. Just take the sim out. You will be fine. I thought I was as anal as they come with keeping my phone prisitine lol. Obviously I am way off.

7. Ffosse macrumors 6502a

You don't need a sim card to use an iPhone as a wi-fi only iPod-like device.

8. bollweevil thread starter macrumors 6502

It's not working

I took out the SIM card and I cannot use the device at all. It just keeps saying "SIM required". It is connected to Wifi. I plugged it into iTunes 11.4 (the latest version).

This iPhone 6 Plus can't do a damn thing without a SIM card.

Advice?