Can I use Windows XP pro via boot camp?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by cammyg123, Feb 17, 2014.

1. cammyg123 macrumors regular

cammyg123

Hey guys, got a question for ya regarding Windows XP.

I was simply wondering if you could use Windows XP on boot camp on OS X 10.9.1 Mavericks?

Is that possible?

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Yes, but Apple only supports it on machines made in 2010 and older. Also be advised that Microsoft is discontinuing support and security updates for Windows XP this April.

3. cammyg123 thread starter macrumors regular

cammyg123

Yes I'm aware. So my late 2013 iMac 27" won't be able to run it in boot camp. I'll just use parallels then, thanks for the help and quid response! :)

4. mintfan7200 macrumors member

mintfan7200

You should be able to run xp even though support is ending for xp . The only way xp would not install is if apple does a update , but I dont think apple will . I would go with Windows 7 anyways its a good os much better than XP or Windows 8 .

5. saturnotaku macrumors 68000

This is incorrect information. Snow Leopard was the last release of OS X to support Windows XP via Boot Camp. XP installations are still possible on a Mac through a virtual machine (Parallels, VMWare Fusion, VirtualBox).

6. mintfan7200 macrumors member

mintfan7200

Sorry I did not know , I have not used XP for years . Anyways get Windows 7 Ultimate they have XP mode so you can run apps that only run on XP . Im pretty sure Windows 7 pro has XP mode too .

7. jenzjen macrumors 68000

If you want to go boot camp, check here to see what windows your machine will support

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht5634

8. gprovida macrumors newbie

Mountain Lion to Maverick Bootcamp XP Upgrade?

I have bootcamp running on an iMac and providing XP. If I upgrade to Maverick will it mess up Windows XP Bootcamp partition? And if not will I be able to upgrade to next MacOS?

9. Gjwilly macrumors 68030

There's no guarantees but I was able to upgrade from Mavericks to Yosemite beta without it effecting Bootcamp.