can i videochat using ichat without a AIM account

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by busterbluth, Dec 21, 2008.

1. busterbluth macrumors 6502

I just bought my first mac and I really want to use the video chat option. I don't use AIM, and when using my ichat, it says that I am using my jabber account (no idea what that is). i can chat with people, but it doesnt allow me to videochat. Can I use the video option without AIM? I thought ichat was its own software...Thanks for any help

2. iDAG macrumors 65816

iDAG

According to Apple's support site, iChat is able to use MobileMe (.Mac), AIM, Jabber, and Goggle Talk accounts. I don't know what your problem would be... :confused:

3. MacFan782040 macrumors 6502a

MacFan782040

You can video chat with either other iChat users (have to be using a mac w/ a camera) or you can videochat to other AIM users (I think currently just the new PC version of AIM supports this). Last week I was using iChat and video chatting with a friend using AIM on a PC. It is probably thinking you are trying to use a Jabber account, and to the best of my knowledge, you can only video chat to others using either iChat to iChat or iChat to PC AIM.

So I guess the question is.. are you trying to videochat with another iChat user? A PC user? A Mac user? If it's Mac, they have to be using iChat (and have a built-in or firewire camera); if it is to PC, they have to be using AIM. Unless Google chat and Jabber support this, I do not have information on that...

4. maccam macrumors 6502a

maccam

I think he's saying that iChat is NOT free like it used to be.

In that case, you have to pay $99 a year for it.