Can I view iPad screen remotely?

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by frosty001, Mar 29, 2015.

1. frosty001 macrumors member

frosty001

Any help with the below hugely appreciated.

Problem:

My mum is 500 miles away and has an minor issue with her iPad. Is there a way she can share her screen and at least let me guide her through what to do? I don't need to control the taps and UI. Just see clearly what's up....

if not, it would be a great feature / API to bring to the next OS update. Am sure this is a regular issue for some.

Thanks in advance.

2. mKTank macrumors 68000

mKTank

Nope. Unless she can jailbreak it and install Veency

3. ButteryScrollin macrumors 6502a

does she have a mac? if so, have her plug it in a do a screen share through Messages.

4. Richdmoore macrumors 65816

Richdmoore

Just to elaborate.

1. Must be a lightning port model. (30 pin models won't work.)
    2. Must be running OS X 10.10 (Yosemite) & iOS 8
    3. Connect with a screen sharing app from computer to computer first. I use the built in Messages app.
    4. Have her plug in her iPhone/iPad via USB to her computer.
    5. Start Quicktime Player.
    6. Select File, New Movie Recording
    7. Click the downward arrow/carrot to the right of the record button. Chose the iPhone/iPad as the Camera.
    8. You should then be able to see everything on her iPhone/iPad screen as she uses it.

http://www.labnol.org/software/quicktime-ios-screen-recorder/8375/

It's a bit convoluted, hopefully at some point apple or someone else will make a dedicated screen sharing app to simply the steps.

5. uhaas macrumors 6502

uhaas

FaceTime/Skype from Phone/Computer

Why not FaceTime or Skype from a phone/computer? Then you can see her screen as she sees it.

I don't think the iOS class libraries exist to do what you want to do. I have not seen that from Webex, Citrix, Teamviewer or any other app. The sand boxing also insulates each app, I believe. I think the other poster's right, you'd need to jailbreak and that's a whole other kind of [support] trouble to do remotely for a family member.

6. rgeneral macrumors member

I believe you can do that with team viewer. https://www.teamviewer.com/en/download/mobile.aspx

7. ardchoille50 macrumors 68020

I'm wondering if a simple screenshot (power button + home button) would help in troubleshooting the issue. The user could then email the screenshot to you.