Can I watch HD episodes on a normal TV?

Discussion in 'iPod' started by cleung, Sep 22, 2008.

1. cleung macrumors regular

This is probably one of the stupidest questions I post here but I really don't know the answer. I have a MBP 2.0 gh, which according to Apple, can be used to play HD TV episodes. I have an Apple TV which is hooked up to my HDTV but I'm in the middle of a move and everything is in storage. I'm temporarily staying at a friend's place and only have access to a normal non-HD TV, at least for the next couple of months. We watch shows that I buy on iTunes by connecting my MBP to his TV via the DVI to Video adapter and plugging the yellow video cable to the adapter and to his TV. If I buy the HD episodes, will they still play on his TV this way? Thanks.

2. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

yes. there will just be black bars above and below the picture and maybe a little bit cut off each side.

3. ll PiStoNs ll macrumors regular

Well I downloaded the free episode of the office in HD and when I did, two versions started to download, both HD and NON-HD. SO yeah if every episode is like that one you probably could. If not, no because an HD signal wont go through red white and yellow wires (tried on my ps3, so its probably the same on a mac)

4. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

Okay, you said the 'yellow' cable. The one with the rounded tip right? Well that cable only runs really low definition anyway. I'm not sure but it might run at the very max 1024x768 res, and at that the quality might be quite terrible.

If you have the option of using a S-Video cable, use that instead.

5. cleung thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks guys. Yes, it's the lo-def, round, yellow cable, as in yellow for video, red and white for audio. My friend's TV is so low tech that I don't even think there's a connection for S-video. I think I'll just get the non-HD version just to be safe.

6. davidwarren macrumors 6502a

yup, I would watch HD shows on cable on a standard def TV before I got an HD TV with s-video. Works fine, looked a lot better than standard def shows.