Can I watch movies without my mbp open?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by jigs, Jul 11, 2007.

1. jigs macrumors newbie

jigs

i just got a sr mbp and the s-video output cable so i can watch movies on my tv, but i would like to watch it without having my mbp open. when i close the lid though, the computer goes to sleep and the tv screen goes blank. i was told if i plug in mouse that this would keep the mbp from sleeping, but no luck. im using a ms mouse with the drivers installed. does that make a diference? does anyone know if am i doing something wrong?

2. rweakins macrumors 6502

rweakins

there's an app called insomniax that you can download that will allow other apps to continue to run when you close your mbp and not sleep but the heat will fry your screen over time.... i wouldn't really recommend it to watch movies with

3. Sounds Good macrumors 68000

Yikes...

4. rweakins macrumors 6502

rweakins

yeah it's not really worth it to watch a movie with the computer closed

5. Vidd macrumors 6502a

Vidd

Why do you need to?
    Just turn it around or, if you're relying on the remote, cover the screen with something. It's better than potentially damaging the hardware.

6. maxmax macrumors member

turn the brightness on your screen all the way down? then there is no reason to close it.

7. pianoman macrumors 68000

pianoman

you can run your computer in closed-lid mode but, as some have mentioned, heat may be an issue.

why not just close your computer to the point before it's closed all the way; i.e., open about a centimeter. heat can still escape but the screen would not be visible.

8. rweakins macrumors 6502

rweakins

that's what i do. it's the same as having it closed basically

9. EmptyG macrumors regular

Ditto. I do the same thing hooking my MBP up to my HDTV via DVI->HDMI. You get all the benefits of closed-shell mode without the heat buildup :)

10. OscarTheGrouch macrumors 6502

not to be an ass, but why not go spend 30 dollars or so on a dvd player?

11. jigs thread starter macrumors newbie

jigs

well if i have something that performs that function already, it seems like a waste. also, not all my movies are on dvd.

i never thought about the heat issue that was mentioned above though. i never had problems running closed-lid with my old laptop, but ill settle for running it with the lid almost closed if it means not worring about damaging the screen. thanks for all the replies.
    =)

12. KD7IWP macrumors 6502a

KD7IWP

Why in the world does everyone keep mentioning heat issues when this is what the MBP is designed to do??? It's got two fans in it that can easily get rid of heat. If you have an external screen, keyboard, and mouse plugged in the mbp will stay awake when you close it anyway. So if Apple certifies that functionality, I don't see the issue to close your mbp and watch movies. It works fine for me in my office.

13. Sounds Good macrumors 68000

Well, I can only speak for myself, but in my case it's because I've read online and in print (over and over and OVER again) that the Macbook AND Macbook Pro laptops get hot. Very hot. Very, VERY hot.

14. Scottyk9 macrumors 6502a

seconded

If I recall correctly, the old iBooks were not designed to work in clamshell mode.

15. Scottyk9 macrumors 6502a

MPB are made of aluminum, which conducts heat (away from the internals and to the surrounding environment). This is a good thing for your computer. Having a warm computer (even one that may be too warm for some to put comfortably on their lap) is very different from a computer that is so hot that the computer gets damaged.

16. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Not true at all, no additional software is required. Scottyk9 and KD7IWP are totally right.

The MBP is designed to be run with the screen shut, you need to plug in an external monitor and a USB device (or use the remote) to do it.

I have with my MB.

Alternatively you can disable display mirroring with System Preferences==>Display==>Arrangement, and then just show the movie on the TV which the new Quicktime (7.2) can do, with Quicktime Player Menu==>Prefrences==>Full Screen and then dragging the Q to the external monitor. As in the attached screenshot.

Picture 2.png

Then if the Movie is over the TV when it is made full screen it'll go to the external. mPlayer can do a similar thing. You may need Perian and Flip4Mac for Quicktime though. (google them).

17. Sounds Good macrumors 68000

Why can't they add a "Run with the lid closed just because I feel like it" button, without having to connect external devices to it?

18. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

God knows. It's really silly.

19. Mac-Addict macrumors 65816

Mac-Addict

They were going to but the name was too long for a button...

20. PkennethV macrumors 6502a

I agree. Just download InsomnaiX and if you're worried about frying the screen then download smcFanControl and max out the fans.

21. KD7IWP macrumors 6502a

KD7IWP

Rub some tin foil with a Scotch pad to give it more of a matte coating and tape it over the MBP LCD and then it will give it more of an aluminum look when it is open and it will be like having two MBP's! One lying flat and one standing up!