Can I windows 7 computer read from a Tiger Hard drive

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Frisco, Jun 7, 2017.

1. Frisco macrumors 68020

My friend's Quicksilver with Tiger just went bad so he ordered a new iMac (15 days to get here). In the meantime can I take out his hard drive from the Quicksilver--put it in an external hard drive enclosure connect it to my work Windows 7 laptop and be able to copy the files to it. He doesn't have a lot of data.

Nothing wrong with his hard drive. I am excited for him and his new iMac!!!

2. eyoungren macrumors Core

eyoungren

Maybe. You'll need to do some work first.

Just some things to know. PowerPC Macs have their drives partitioned as APM. Natively, Windows computers cannot read APM partitioned drives (although Macs can read NTFS volumes).

Additionally, when the new iMac arrives, your friend will find that the drive on this Mac is partitioned as GUID, which is Apple's partition scheme for Intel Macs. Windows based PCs may be able to read that.

When you stick it in a case and connect the drive your PC will tell you it needs to be formatted. So, immediate to your issue before you do any of that install TransMac.

Having that installed will allow you to access the drive as if it was simply another PC drive.

They give you a 15 day trial so based on how much data you said there was to get off should be plenty of time.

Now, if your friend wants to wait for the iMac to arrive he could simply hook the drive up to his iMac (while it's in the enclosure) and the startup process will allow him to transfer his data from the old drive to the new iMac.

Options. Up to you and your friend.

3. Frisco thread starter macrumors 68020

Thanks a lot eyoungren!

PS: Tiger was a great OS. I was so excited to buy a copy when it came out day #1 at CompUSA.

4. eyoungren macrumors Core

eyoungren

Yes, Tiger users are very enthusiastic! :D

I much prefer Leopard myself, but nice to hear from a fellow PowerPC user. :)

5. amagichnich macrumors 6502

amagichnich

Tiger was the reason I bought my first own PowerPC Mac in 2015 just to realize that I kinda glorified it in my memories and I prefered Leopard over it :D

6. eyoungren macrumors Core

eyoungren

Tiger has certain qualities that make it a better option to me in limited cases. There just aren't that many IMO.

7. WalnutSpice Suspended

WalnutSpice

Tiger was the first version of OS X I used, was OS 9 prior. Tiger was the OS that got me into PowerPC Macs.