Can I write to DL DVD or not????

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Storrow, Dec 7, 2007.

1. Storrow macrumors regular

I have a 2.16 Core 2 Duo Macbook pro and I need to write to a DL DVD disc. I've tried a couple blank discs. Sometimes when I put a blank DL DVD in the drive it says its not readable and sometimes if I restart the computer it shows up as a blank DVD on the desktop. I can't write to the DL DVD at all (even if the computer decides that its "readable") whether im using toast or just dragging files to the disc then clicking on burn, right after i click burn it says an error has occurred. ive tried burning an iso from the disc utility and it says the laser couldnt get hot enough or something like that. It says on the box to my computer the following: "slot-loading 6x superdrive (dvd+r DL/dvd+-rw/cd-rw)" I don't get it because from reading that I think it should be able to do it. Does anyone know??

2. Lovesong macrumors 65816

Lovesong

Have you tried using another brand of media. I have found Memorex to work with my MBP, every time, no problems.

3. Storrow thread starter macrumors regular

the discs i am trying to use are "Memorex DVD+R DL"

4. Gaelic1 macrumors member

I have an iMac 20" intel machine with super drive and I have gotten the same results as you. I tried burning Dynex DL discs. It is quite possible that the media is at fault. I'd suggest trying Verbatim or Sony DL discs.

5. eman macrumors 6502a

Yes, you should be able to write to DL media. I use Verbatim DL +R media and don't have any problems. I use Toast Titanium 8.0; make sure your not burning faster than your superdrive can support. I have much better results from TT than Apple's disk utility.

The last time I checked Newegg.com had verbatim DVD +R DL for about $13 (with rebate) for 20 discs (item #95310). Verbatim is the only brand I use period.

To test your DL superdrive, put in your Tiger restore disk (which is a DL DVD) and hit copy with TT.

6. Storrow thread starter macrumors regular

i guess im wondering if i should take this thing in to have them look at the drive, i tried burning at the lowest speed also. i have vista on this and vista cannot write to the drive either. i have tried 3 blank discs (all memorex). i just dont see how it is normal for a drive to only read certain brands of discs, and sometimes the computer says they are not readable and sometimes it recognizes them lol

7. Storrow thread starter macrumors regular

i got a different brand of blank DVD DL cds and the same thing is happening. i think there is something wrong with my superdrive.. does anyone know any other reason this might be happening? i really dont want to send my computer out for repair and be without it for weeks :-(