Can I?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by lake alice, Jan 11, 2012.

1. lake alice macrumors member

Did a search but found little.

Can I connect a portable hard drive to my Ipad2? I want to take my portable hard drive with me filled with movies. Does it have to go through iTunes?

2. mmmtastybusch macrumors regular

I was wondering the same thing about a USB drive or SD cards... I've seen adapters but they say they only transfer pictures not video, so who knows.. Hopefully someone will fill us in lol

3. lake alice thread starter macrumors member

4. poloponies macrumors 68030

5. LostLogik macrumors 6502a

I use an Airstash for movies and music, swapping out SD cards as required. Takes up far less space.

6. lake alice thread starter macrumors member

7. mmmtastybusch macrumors regular

is it just me or all these solutions expensive lol

8. poloponies macrumors 68030

It's just you. The Satellite retails high but it's widely available for $175 and drops to $150 often. For that price you get a 500GB portable drive with a 5-hour battery and Wifi streaming to multiple devices simultaneously. So it's $50-$70 more than a portable drive alone but you're getting reasonable value for the money.

9. mmmtastybusch macrumors regular

As far as what I was wanting, taking my existing SD cards or flashdrives and streaming files from them... I'd say yes, expensive as an adapter in a sense. As for buying an external drive itself, no. I'll probably end up buying one but it just sucks that I have like 5 32GB and 3 16GB sd cards sitting here lol

10. poloponies macrumors 68030

The AirStash used to be $99 without any SD cards and would be a decent solution for you, but at $149, it's a lot less appealing.

11. mmmtastybusch macrumors regular

I'm probably going to go with one of the wireless external hard drives on Amazon. I found a 2TB one with pretty good reviews for $169.99. Ironically, it still wouldn't be a solution for me. I was wanting something small and portable to take with me places, but if I'm going to spend over $100 on storage I want it to be big enough for me to back up my home computer. Catch 22 hahaha

12. takeshi74 macrumors 601

Neither. "Expensive" is highly subjective, regardless of topic.

13. poloponies macrumors 68030

No real catch-22 because you won't be able to access other wireless drives from your iPad, so I wouldn't bother with a wireless solution if it's just for home back-up. Get a wired drive for backup and then stream from iTunes when you're at home. You can also stream from your computer while you're away but you need wifi at both ends.

14. ghostworld macrumors member

ghostworld

You can just download the Air Video app, and watch any video you want to remotely off your computer. App costs 2.99

15. mmmtastybusch macrumors regular

^^this sounds like a winner!

16. lake alice thread starter macrumors member

For me its about access when not on the grid. I travel to some remote locations and while I'll have the ability to charge the battery at night I won't during the day.

17. Mliii macrumors 65816

Mliii

Except, doesn't this exclude anything that has DRM and everything purchased on iTunes has DRM. That seems like a fairly big limitation.

18. ghostworld macrumors member

ghostworld

That's true. I use with my own dvd rips, so this isn't an issue for me. I guess it all depends on what types of files you want to watch.