Can I...?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by koesherbacon, Dec 27, 2009.

1. koesherbacon macrumors member

Hi, sorry for that vague title. I'm positive somebody on here can answer this for me.

I have Bootcamp set up with Windows XP installed on the other partition. I have absolutely no problem running either of my OSes. What I'm wondering, however, is if there's a way I can run a program that is installed on my windows partition w/o having to restart my OS X and boot back into windows to do so.

Specifically, I'd like to run the DND Character Builder without having to switch back and forth. I've tried using Crossover, but that did a fat lot of nothing. The program requires .Net 3.5 sp1, I think that's where the problem was when I tried to use Crossover.

I've also tried installing both Parallels and VMWare Fusion. These sort of worked... but they were both so incredibly slow it was actually faster to just reboot into windows; hence my current predicament.

Anything left for me to try? Or should I just get used to dual booting every now and then? I don't mind rebooting, it would just be easier and nicer if I didn't have to.

Thanks so much. Any insight anybody can provide would be wonderful!

Happy holidays! :D

2. Darth.Titan macrumors 68030

Darth.Titan

Parallels, Fusion, and VirtualBox are your only options to do what you want to do. If they're not fast enough, double check and see if the VM settings (RAM, # of processors) can be tweaked to provide better results.

Otherwise dual booting is your only option.

3. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7D11 Safari/528.16)

Which Mac? Particularly how much RAM do you have... I don't find XP under Parallels that slow even on my early 2006 iMac with 2 GB. But I could imagine with 1 GB it could be pretty bad.

B