Can iKlear remove the oleophobic coating on the iPhone 4?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by robotmonkey, Aug 27, 2010.

1. robotmonkey macrumors 6502

Title says it all... my friend told me the iKlear I was using the clean my phone removes an "oleophobic coating" (which I have never heard of before) on the screen. Is this true? If it is, don't you think :apple: should say in big red letters "DO NOT CLEAN SCREEN"? Or maybe, iKlear shouldn't advertise a product that can damage an iPhone 4 as "iPhone safe".

I got the really expensive user-damage Best Buy warranty because I have had horrible luck with my iPhone and iPhone 3g (take amazing care of them, no scratches or anything, but I drop it once after a couple of months of proud ownership and it shatters... everyone else seems to have super phones because they can drop it repeatedly with no problem)... so if the oleophobic coating was taken off I just need to pay a $10 restocking fee to get a new one.

Is there any way I can tell if it was taken off? It does finger print, but it's not like it didn't before I cleaned it....

2. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

These are the only instruction Apple gives out.

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1643

How to clean iPhone:

Summary
    Unplug all cables and turn off iPhone (press and hold the Sleep/Wake button and slide the onscreen red slider). Then use the included cleaning cloth or a soft, slightly damp, lint-free cloth. Avoid getting moisture in openings.

Products Affected
    iPhone
    Don't use window cleaners, household cleaners, aerosol sprays, solvents, alcohol, ammonia, or abrasives to clean iPhone.

so if the iKlear uses alcohol or ammonia, I would stop using it.

3. GDVI macrumors regular

GDVI

It does not.

OP, iKlear is safe dude.

4. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

From iKlear: "iKlear formula by Klear Screen is 100% alcohol, ammonia, and sodium lauryl sulfate free, non-toxic, non-damaging, and non-flammable"

So I guess maybe is good to go and according to them "iKlear is the only cleaner recommended by Apple Tech Support and used by Apple Care for cleaning a wide range of Apple products."

I would worry more right now of putting too much of it and then water (wtver the liquid really is?) might get into the water sensors and thus no warranty w/ apple at least.

For me a a non-scratchable cloth suffices....

5. iAmYou macrumors 6502

iAmYou

6. robotmonkey thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks everybody, that's what I figured, I am just paranoid about breaking this phone....

7. bks691 macrumors regular

iKlear has a patent on distilling Steve Jobs urine, it is 99.9% pure. So no, it will not hurt your oleophobic coating.

8. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

This. :p :D