Can iMac 27 2013 external drive 30" montior 2580x1600?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by timpicks, Feb 15, 2014.

1. timpicks macrumors newbie

Well, the subject says it best:

I'm thinking of diving into an iMac 27 2013 (maxed out), but I've got a very nice 30" HPLP3065 30" monitor running 2560x1600 that I'd hate to sell. Can the iMac 27 drive this as a second display at it's native resolution? I don't NEED a second monitor, mind you, but I'm sick of Windows.

If only the Mac Mini had the same insides as the iMac...sigh...

Thanks!

EDIT: Drat...meant 2560x1600 in the subject

2. simsaladimbamba

Yes, the iMac is capable of using a 30" computer display with 2560 x 1600 pixel, even a Mac mini can somehow.

To edit your thread title just click on the [​IMG] button on the bottom right of your original post and then click the [​IMG] button below your message.

3. timpicks thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the quick response!

Now the followup question: Will 2560x1600 on a 30" look closer to 'retina' than the iMac? Wondering which primary monitor I will use between the two.

4. simsaladimbamba

No, it will not, as the pixels are a tiny bit bigger.
    The 27" iMac has a resolution of 2560 x 1440 pixel, the 30" display has the same horizontal pixel count and 160 additional vertical pixel due to being a 16:10 display.

If you want retina like capability, you have to look at the 4xHD, or 4K, displays currently in circulation for 500 to probably 5.000 €.

5. timpicks thread starter macrumors newbie

Ah, thanks simsaladimbamba... I KNEW I had an extra $5000 sitting around just looking for a place to go... hehe.

According to eBay I can probably sell my HPLP3065 30" pretty easily for $600, considering they're going for $800+ new. That takes a big chunk out of the price for the new iMac!

Cheers!

6. bcuzawd macrumors member

bcuzawd

As already stated...Yes, the iMac will push a 2nd display at 2560x1600 with the correct adapter (Dual-link DVI).

In my case...the iMac monitor is MUCH more crisp and vibrant. This may have to do with the age of my Dell 3007WFP. It looks a tad dingy(yellowish) compared to the iMac. The Dell's guts are from LG as well...just aged a bit.

Here are some images for comparison.

Attached Files:

7. timpicks thread starter macrumors newbie

Wow, great pics, thanks for sharing! Have you tried color correcting your Dell? I use an old XRite i1 that I've had for 8 years, and it's still doing the trick. Looks like your Kelvin is way off...

If you're in the Seattle area you can borrow it :)

8. macpro2000 macrumors 6502a

BTW, you can actually hook up 2 30" Apple Displays without problem to the 2013 iMac. Works great and at full resolution.

Attached Files:

9. bcuzawd macrumors member

bcuzawd

I have not tried color-correcting it as of yet. Thank you for the suggestion. Looking at their site, looks like the Colormunki might be perfect for what I need.

I've never calibrated before though, so I'm curious how this is accomplished. My monitor has absolutely no buttons on it aside from the brightness - and + (which haven't worked since i replaced the inverter). Is this done under System Preferences/Displays/Color/Calibrate?