iMac Pro Can iMac Pro persist for some time under high temperature?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by gerrard0804, Feb 25, 2018.

1. gerrard0804 macrumors member

I tested to run games last night which was supposed to be graphically intensive. I heard the fans started to run at hi speed and the back was giving warm air. I supposed the temperature could be up to 60-90 degree Celsius.

Is it normal for computer to operate for some time (2-3 hours) i.e. for gaming/movie at this temperature?

Does the high temperature cause any hardware aging?

2. Mac32 Suspended

I would recommend getting Macs Fan Control, set a custom speed in OSX, then boot up into Bootcamp/Windows. Otherwise I recommend staying in 1440p, and don't go nuts with anti-aliasing, so that the framerates will stay over 60fps, that will help with temperatures (4K makes the GPU run considerably hotter). Also use MSI Afterburner or similar to cap framerate at 59, which will also help with temperature (and lessen lag in triple buffered vsync afaik).

3. h9826790 macrumors G5

h9826790

The iMac Pro suppose is a work station. It should able to carry out long time compute (weeks or months 24/7) with both CPU and GPU stress to 100%. If just 2-3 hours gaming can cause any issue, then the iMac Pro is a total failure.

However, high operating temperature can cause pre-mature failure is a fact. I don't know how good the iMac Pro resist to heat. Time will tell.

4. FredT2 macrumors 6502a

Yes.
    Maybe over a long enough time frame. I've been running my i7 iMac at temperatures up to 100 C for many hours at a time for more than three years with no problems.

5. ThatSandWyrm macrumors regular

ThatSandWyrm

I run photogrammetry (3D models from pictures) computations. My last set ran 34 hours. I played a moderately intensive 3D game (Master of Orion) during that last run with no noticeable fan noise. Though I'm sure the system was hot.

Note: These kinds of long, hot computational runs are what you buy Zeons and ECC RAM for.

What's the game? Were you running it in Windows, or on the MacOS side?