Can iMac's bootcamp install windows on my USB flash drive?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Lensclare, Oct 26, 2015.

1. Lensclare macrumors member

Lensclare

I have a 32GB flash drive, Bootcamp downloads the windows support software to my Flash Drive USB, but then Bootcamp will only continue if I make a partition in my internal Mac hard drive.

I don't want to do this on my internal because I'm low on RAM, is there anyway I can get bootcamp to make windows 7 bootable on my Flash drive instead. It seems to be giving me no choice, but to do the partition with my internal HD.

My imac is mid 2010 21.5 " running
    Yosemite.

2. Hrhnick macrumors member

No, Bootcamp cannot install to an external drive.

That said, there are manual ways to install to an external drive, but I would only recommend a SSD, and USB 3 or Thunderbolt, otherwise it would be to slow to be functional.

3. Fancuku macrumors 6502a

Fancuku

Did you mean low on hard drive space?

Previous poster is correct. Bootcamp will not allow you to install on external drive.

4. chscag macrumors 68000

As you've been advised, you can not install Windows on an external hard drive since that is a MS restriction (anti-piracy) and Boot Camp follows those guidelines. However, you can install Windows on an external hard drive if you use virtual software. (Parallels, VMWare Fusion, or VirtualBox)

5. Lensclare thread starter macrumors member

Lensclare

Thankyou, I shall bear this in mind. also if I do decide to make a partition in my internal with bootcamp, will the windows 7 reinstall cd work?

6. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

Assuming you have a full install of Win 7, and not an upgrade install, then - yes, that is the normal setup for installing Windows via Boot Camp.

7. Lensclare thread starter macrumors member

Lensclare

Yes..its the full version of windows 7, but it says in small print on the actual CD that
    "This DVD is not for reinstallation of programs or drivers" (not sure what that means)

8. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

The Windows install doesn't include programs, or drivers - other than those that are included with Windows..
    As long as the DVD label doesn't say "HP" or "Dell" or "Acer", or some other computer manufacturer; and only has Microsoft identification on the DVD, then you should be fine.
    However, I suspect that you will see a manufacturer's name, which makes it an OEM installer (shipped in the box with a Windows PC or laptop). I have heard that some OEM installers will work with Boot Camp, but if you have problems with the install, or won't recognize the installer DVD, you will need the real full install.

9. Lensclare thread starter macrumors member

Lensclare

Yes...you are right it says "For Distribution Only With a New Dell PC"

10. Fancuku macrumors 6502a

Fancuku

It shouldn't be a problem. I have used a Dell Windows DVD to install Windows on a Lenovo laptop and didn't have any problems.
    Just know that you will need the Bootcamp drivers after the Windows installation because otherwise a lot of things won't work.

11. Lensclare thread starter macrumors member

Lensclare

thank you...I might give it a try.

12. Gjwilly macrumors 68030

More important than the CD is the license key.
    Do you have one?
    Branded CDs sometimes only work with their own brand of computer because they use the license key thats embedded in the motherboards BIOS.
    That obviously won't work with your Mac so you will need a license key.