Can iMovie 08 make a slideshow with audio?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Morod, May 6, 2009.

1. Morod macrumors 68000

Morod

Hi all,
    I've never used iMovie 08 but I have a Mothers Day project I want to try. Will this work?
    I want to take a bunch of photos from iPhoto, make a slideshow with them using dissolves, fades and cuts for the video. For the audio I want to use a song I have in iTunes.
    Can I do this using iMovie 08, or even another app from iLife 08?
    Thanks!
    Morod

2. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

Any reason you don't just do it in iPhoto?
    Very easy to add all the transitions and music you want.

Unless of course you want to add video and not use just photos…

3. Morod thread starter macrumors 68000

Morod

The only reason is that I was too dumb to know this could be done in iPhoto, :p.
    Thanks for the tip, as I (think) I know iPhoto much better than iMovie. I will look around.
    Morod

4. Morod thread starter macrumors 68000

Morod

Good, I need more help, if possible!
    I figured out how to enter "slideshow" mode. All my photos in iPhoto are thumbnails across the top of the screen. I don't want all my photos in the slideshow.
    Any idea how you pick and choose which of the photos to add or delete to the slideshow?
    Again, thanks for the help so far!
    Morod

5. SecondDealer macrumors regular

I just used my iPhoto for the first time the other day to make a video picture slideshow with music for a school assignment.

6. Morod thread starter macrumors 68000

Morod

Cool! It's got some neat features, as I'm finding out. I just need to figure out how to put selected photos into a slideshow instead of my entire iPhoto collection. Still haven't got it figured out, so back to the drawing board.

7. Morod thread starter macrumors 68000

Morod

Figured it out!

Hold down the option key and click each photo you want to include in the slideshow. When you create the slideshow and name it, make sure the box is checked that says to include the selected photos in the slideshow. It's easy when you know how....
    Thanks to everyone!

ON EDIT:
    You can add more photos to the slideshow after you make it by click & dragging the wanted photo(s) to the slideshow. The thumbnails on the top of the page allow you to change the sequence of photos to however you want by click & dragging them into the preferred order.

8. illegalprelude macrumors 68000

illegalprelude

I would if I were you...use iMovie.

Create a folder in iPhoto with all the pictures you want. Create a new project in iMovie and then click the Media tab, find that folder and drag it to your project. It will then add all of those photos in the order you want, but this gives you more control with transitions and timing of each slide.

From there, in the media tab, click on music, find the song in iTunes. Now, if you drag the song to the background of your project (the background turns green) it will add the song to your entire project. If you drag the song ontop of a pic/movie, you now have control of when it starts and stops etc.