Can install & boot win7 on my thunderbolt drive with my iMac?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by alam, Nov 24, 2011.

1. alam macrumors regular

alam

Hello guys

I just bought an iMac 27inch with 2tb hdd, but I want to keep it for my Mac only and use the external 4tb Pegasus thunderbolt drive for win7 and time machine.

Is it possible if I partition my Pegasus 4tb drive into 3tb for my TM and 1tb for my win7, or do I have to instal win7 on my internal drive on my iMac?

Thanks.

2. SR20DETDOG macrumors regular

As far as I know Windows needs to be on the internal drive, I have clone of mine on a USB HDD that won't boot, however I'm not sure if Thunderbolt drives would be different. So I'd would love to know this myself as I'd like to keep the internal drive OSX only as well.

3. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

The thunderbolt drives released so far are not recognised in windows.

4. alam thread starter macrumors regular

alam

LoL:eek:

5. panzer06 macrumors 68030

panzer06

You would need to do the eSATA mod and hijack the internal SATA port that is normally used for the SSD. In this way you can boot Windows to an external drive on a SSD or spinning disk in an eSATA enclosure.

Work great on my 2010 iMac. Cost $85 to have an AASP do the work. Had to buy this cable to get the proper angle connector.

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/NewerTech/MPQXES2/

Cheers,

6. shortcut3d macrumors 65816

I thought Macworld tried this with the Pegasus RAID array. I'm actually wondering if it would work with a 2011 Mac Mini in target disk mode. Installation could be completed on the Mini then put into target disk mode and booted from another Thunderbolt Mac using option. I have 3 Mac Mini's and a MacBook Pro that I could test, but need to find the time. Right now the base Mac Mini is not much more than LaCie Thunderbolt Little Big Disk and both still require external power.

You could always use VMware and place the VMs on the Thunderbolt drive. Separating the disk IO helps VM performance.

7. alam thread starter macrumors regular

alam

this looks pretty complicated stuff, plus idk where will that cable go out and my iMac will look ridiculous :p

so i guess I'm going with the old fashion style :(