Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

analytical44

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 22, 2008
Philly
Hello all. I am thinking about purchasing a X25-M SSD for a 13" MBP once prices drop (hopefully by the end of the year) but also want to run Windows. Multiple sources have stated that it is an amazing drive but that you cannot install/run Windows using Boot Camp. Most of these articles/posts are dated early 2009 however.

I'm curious, did the April firmware release solve this problem or did it only address the fragmentation issue causing massive slow downs? If not, can someone please explain to me why it is that Boot Camp is incompatable? Is it the expectation that the new Intel SSDs scheduled to be released later this year will resolve this problem if it is not already corrected? Also, for those of you who actually have one of these, did the firmware update completely resolve the fragmentation issue? Thanks for your input.

bcaslis

macrumors 68020
Mar 11, 2008
Hello all. I am thinking about purchasing a X25-M SSD for a 13" MBP once prices drop (hopefully by the end of the year) but also want to run Windows. Multiple sources have stated that it is an amazing drive but that you cannot install/run Windows using Boot Camp. Most of these articles/posts are dated early 2009 however.

I'm curious, did the April firmware release solve this problem or did it only address the fragmentation issue causing massive slow downs? If not, can someone please explain to me why it is that Boot Camp is incompatable? Is it the expectation that the new Intel SSDs scheduled to be released later this year will resolve this problem if it is not already corrected? Also, for those of you who actually have one of these, did the firmware update completely resolve the fragmentation issue? Thanks for your input.

The 160GB model could always run bootcamp. Early 80GB models had problems, but newer versions of the 80GB will also run it OK. If you are buying a new drive you should be fine.

analytical44

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 22, 2008
Philly
Cool, thank you both much. Any expectations on how much prices will drop by the end of the year? The 80GB is barely in my price range but it seems like with that little capacity, it would be resrictive. 160GB would suit me fine with an external but at $600+ there's no way I can afford it.

nuckinfutz

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2002
Middle Earth
Cool, thank you both much. Any expectations on how much prices will drop by the end of the year? The 80GB is barely in my price range but it seems like with that little capacity, it would be resrictive. 160GB would suit me fine with an external but at $600+ there's no way I can afford it.

I don't now when but SSD are a lot like CPU in fabrication. They to date have followed Moores Law and so they should double in size for the same cost which is equally saying pricing per GB should halve.

analytical44

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 22, 2008
Philly
I don't now when but SSD are a lot like CPU in fabrication. They to date have followed Moores Law and so they should double in size for the same cost which is equally saying pricing per GB should halve.

Lol someone just explained Moores Law to me last night...funny. That's good to know though, thanks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.