Can Intel X25-M SSD run Boot Camp?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by analytical44, Jun 11, 2009.

1. analytical44 macrumors regular

Hello all. I am thinking about purchasing a X25-M SSD for a 13" MBP once prices drop (hopefully by the end of the year) but also want to run Windows. Multiple sources have stated that it is an amazing drive but that you cannot install/run Windows using Boot Camp. Most of these articles/posts are dated early 2009 however.

I'm curious, did the April firmware release solve this problem or did it only address the fragmentation issue causing massive slow downs? If not, can someone please explain to me why it is that Boot Camp is incompatable? Is it the expectation that the new Intel SSDs scheduled to be released later this year will resolve this problem if it is not already corrected? Also, for those of you who actually have one of these, did the firmware update completely resolve the fragmentation issue? Thanks for your input.

2. vincents3 macrumors newbie

My suggestion to you would be not to waste your money on it. Why? :confused: Because the 13" and 15" NEW MBP's have their SATA controller set to SATA 1, which means 1.5 Gbps. This is sufficient for the regular drives out there, but not for an SSD.
    I am 5 minutes away from ordering a new 17" MBP in which I will install my X25-M Intel 160 GB SSD. Went to the Apple store today to make sure this model is set for SATA 2 (3 Gbps). Same for Macbook Air...
    I'm also planning on installing the MCE kit and add a second X25-M in Raid 0 (these drives are reliable enough to "risk" striping on a portable) once there's a significant price drop for these puppies.