Can io7 beta cause HW issues?

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by Marco123, Jul 12, 2013.

1. Marco123 macrumors 6502a

I have installed ios7 beta on my iphone5 and I'll admit that I am not a dev.
    But as much as I am loving the new os I am worried about staying on the beta. Can the beta and its further updates cause hardware issues and break the phone?
    If it can then I will happily revert back to 6.1.4 and wait for the public release.

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Bugs in the beta can cause a phone to overheat which will eventually cause a HW issue but generally speaking its difficult (though not impossible) for a software bug to break the hardware.

3. Marco123 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the help.
    I think I will jump back to 6.1.4 to be safe.
    Loving IOS7 but I will play this safe and not risk it.

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

As a non developer you risk issues that will prevent you to use the phone as you normally like too. I will say that the risk of hardware failure is rather remote. The risk of apps crashing, unable to make calls or losing some of your data due to bugs is much higher.

While others may disagree and use the beta without any problems, I am merely pointing out the risks of using the beta for your everyday phone.

5. ssdeg7 macrumors 6502a

ssdeg7

Hardware bugs are fixed in the Alpha stages (Apple internal testing), Betas shouldn't ruin hardware but it can happen on rare occasions.