Can iPad 1 SIM cards be swapped?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by dmk1974, Jun 18, 2011.

1. dmk1974 macrumors 68000

dmk1974

I have an iPad 1 3G 16gb that has a SIM card that has never been activated (when I click on account settings, it prompts for the credit card and which of the 2 plans and a new account and so on).

I just bought another iPad 1 3G 64gb on Craigslist and it's SIM card has basically been deactivated by the previous owner (when clicking on the account, it prompts with the blanks for the user name and password).

Are the SIMs tied to the devices? Or can I swap the non-activated SIM from the 16gb and put it into the 64gb and then go ahead and activate it on the 64gb? When I called AT&T, they wanted $15 to put a new SIM card into it. Thanks!

2. JohnDoe98 macrumors 68020

Ipads are unlocked so you can definitely swap SIMs around. Now, it is possible ATT complicates matters. But if you log into the ATT website:

https://dcp2.att.com/OEPNDClient/

And click on edit user and payment information, there is an update device information button that you can click. You could always tweak the IMEI and the ICCID so as to make it work on the device you want to use.

3. AllieNeko macrumors 6502a

Did you try going to the AT&T store? I bet they'll just hand you a new SIM and get you all setup, no problem. Corporate store - NOT A DEALER.