iPad Can iPad 2 catch viruses?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by latinspice15, Dec 3, 2012.

1. latinspice15 macrumors newbie

My iPad 2 has been crashing SO MUCH. I can't even tell you how much it crashes in a day because it happens every five minutes. It crashes with apps like Facebook and Skype, as well as games and also apps like iBooks, Pages, etc. I have already reset all settings and it helped for a day or two.

My ipad is jailbroken, I didn't do it, the guy who sold it to me did. It's 16gb, and has about 1gb free. I haven't update to the latest software since update 4.0 I think, perhaps a few before that. So yes, the software is old but this iPad ended up being password protected on many things and the guy who sold it to me never told me about all this, so I have no idea how to fix that, therefore I can't update it.

Could it be that my iPad has a virus? Or how can I fix this? And also, how can I reset it back to new? I'd like to get rid of all password protections, it has a profile that won't let me use Youtube, but I can't get rid of it because it is password protected. So if there is any way I can reset it to new I'd appreciate help with that too.

2. srf4real macrumors 68030

srf4real

I will address your first issue. You likely have jailbreak tweaks or cracked apps that have compromised the integrity of your iOS. Probably some un-checked memory hog rather than an actual virus.. Restore as new in iTunes under the account that the iPad is registered to, and your iPad 2 will work as new.

3. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

4. guitarmandp macrumors 6502

I have the same problem with my iPhone but I don't have any blobs saved so if I restore I loose my jailbreak and I will not under any circumstances restore my phone until they jailbreak iOS 6. Since I'm using my iPad mini a lot more than my iPhone it's not as big of a deal and using tetherme as a hotspot it's not a huge deal

5. cclloyd macrumors 68000

cclloyd

When you jailbroke it, did you happen to install SSH and forget to change the password?

6. Silverrune macrumors regular

Why? I don't see a reason not to install iOS 6 if your phone is having issues. So what if it's jailbroken? Is it really that hard to go without a jailbreak for a few months?

7. dinggus macrumors 65816

Yes, in my eyes it sucks? I can't wait for my mini to be jailbroken.

8. throAU macrumors 601

throAU

Theoretically, if a device can be jailbroken, it can get malware/viruses.

I'm not aware of any actually in existence for regular un-jailbroken iOS yet, but the possibility is there, if you are running a version of iOS that has a jailbreak available - whether you actually jailbroke it or not.

If you did jailbreak - all bets are off. You may have left SSH open, you may have installed malware accidentally, etc.

9. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Id start removing cydia packages one by one to find out what one causes issues, system slowdowns, crashes or incompatibilities.
    Once you identify the suspect package then either live without it or contact the dev for additional help or for an older version that might work with your setup.
    Good luck.

10. Silverrune, Dec 4, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2012

Silverrune macrumors regular

Then why have one!? :confused: :mad: :apple:

11. dinggus macrumors 65816

Why have a Mini? Because for my use I can have patience not being jailbroken. Plus I still have my iPhone 4S which is jailbroken.

12. latinspice15 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you to everyone!

The problem is, I wasn't the one to jailbreak it. Here's the thing, this guy sold it to me right when the iPad 2 was released at an affordable price. Which was pretty stupid of me since I always get my stuff at the Apple Store but I didn't have enough at the time. I wasn't aware it was jailbroken or password protected. A few months after using it I started to realize all of these things and eventually came to find the Profiles info and saw the profiles which are password protected and I can't remove. If it were up to me I'd gladly restore to new because I don't need it to be jailbreaked. But I can't. Everytime I try to do so there's an error or it just refuses to be restored. I can't even charge it on my computer. So if anyone knows how I can fix this (because it annoys the hell out of me) I'd appreciate it so much!

13. throAU macrumors 601

throAU

14. mentaluproar macrumors 68000

mentaluproar

Put the ipad into DFU mode. iTunes will nuke it and install the latest OS. Apple really did a great job with recovery options on their mobile devices.

How to put your iPhone in DFU mode :

Connect your iPad to your computer.
    Turn iPad off.
    Hold power and home together for 10 seconds (exactly).
    Release power but keep holding home until the computers beeps (observed on a PC) as a USB device is recognized.
    A few seconds later iTunes should detect your iPad.
    If the Restore Logo is present on the screen, you are in Recovery Mode, not DFU.

15. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

Computers can't charge an iPad properly, it does a slow charge.

Put the iPad in DFU mode then restore as NEW using iTunes.

16. latinspice15 thread starter macrumors newbie

THANK YOU! This really worked. I'm so happy! I updated to iOS 6 and it is as good as new. It still won't charge on my computer but I'm guessing it's my computer that sucks.

17. JPNFRK7 macrumors 6502

JPNFRK7

I noticed that for an ipad to charge on a computer it has to be idle without the user doing anything.

18. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

If you guys using a windows computer install "ASUS Ai Charger"
    Its a hack that will enable your computers USB ports to charge your ipad.

19. mentaluproar macrumors 68000

mentaluproar

That won't work on all chipsets. Just use the included charger.

----------

The ipad is basically a big battery with a touchscreen. It takes more current than a USB port to charge it. Most computers don't put out enough.

20. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Correct.
    It will though work on most windows systems and with almost all motheboards besides mac computers.
    So worth a try, worked fine on my desktop and win7 laptop and they now both charge my ipad 3 nice and fast with no probs.
    http://download.cnet.com/ASUS-Ai-Charger/3000-2094_4-75823885.html

21. latinspice15 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you! It definitely worked :) It's as fast as the wall charger. I hope the battery lasts just as much too!

22. labman macrumors 604

labman

Also charges my iPhone quicker and it's still safe!

23. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I hear you.
    I been using it for months now, great little hack.

24. scapegoat81 macrumors 6502a

scapegoat81

That's just what this guy needs... another hack. :D

25. 1080p macrumors 68020

1080p

Meh.... my 2011 iMac charges the iPad and iPhone just as fast as a wall charger. Most Macs after 2010 have higher power USB ports for doing so and the OS regulates the power output.