can ipad 3g result in my dumping my dsl?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by onnnnn7, Apr 11, 2010.

1. onnnnn7 macrumors newbie

I have limited experience with wifi etc so as the at&t 3g map says i have great coverage ( my iphone gets great reception at my home, not in a city) can the ipad 3g pull in a signal equal to or greater than my verizon dsl so i can finally dump that? any and all replies are greatly appreciated.

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Maybe if you have really slow DSL. Since you don't tell us what the speed of your DSL connection is, nobody can tell you. A wired connection these days is almost always going to be faster than a wireless connection.

3. vw195 macrumors 6502

As long as you dont want to download anything :p In all honesty NO would be my unequivocal answer

4. Mpalmieri1203 macrumors member

3G is worse than dial-up. Pretty awful.

5. nStyle macrumors 6502a

*facepalm*

6. mosx macrumors 65816

Well, what about your computer? You won't be able to get online with your computer any more. You won't be able to get online with any other devices you have at home.

You also wouldn't be able to actually update your iPad. You still have to download and install software updates from your home computer.

I'm sure Apple and AT&T will still be imposing similar file size limits like they do on the iPhone too. So you won't be able to download apps larger than 20MB over 3G. You certainly won't be able to pull down movies or any sort of video over 3G.

You should check to see what Verizon offers in your area too. They offer 3-7Mbps DSL in most of their served areas, with quite a bit covered by FiOS (just don't get the FiOS wifi router). Call your cable company up. They're always willing to make deals. I'm getting 20Mbps down for $30 a month right now and that price is good for more than another year.

7. kirchnrd macrumors 6502

kirchnrd

I thought the same thing. My DSL is bad, only 450 Kbps on average. 3G is about 2 Mbps at my house. Only reason I can't dump DSL is because you can't download files. And... No matter what ATT says, I am very skeptical that unlimited will actually be unlimited. If it is, I can't see it lasting long.

8. CrAkD macrumors 68040

CrAkD

lol no its not. not even close. I can get download speeds upto 250kbps on 3g. we have dialup at my work. good lord is it slow. its faster for me to plug my iphone into the work computer and run mywi.

9. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

Depends where you are. For example, in downtown San Francisco, it's hella slow. I'm talking about dial-up slow.

But on the other side of the continent, on Long Island, New York, I get almost 7 Mbps. It's faster than the cable internet there!

10. mickbab macrumors 65816

mickbab

Would you be wanting to tether with your home computer? In that case you could probably get around the 3G download limit (I don't have experience with tethering) and you would be able to download things also. If your download speeds are that slow, this could be a viable option.

11. mark34 macrumors 6502a

slower than dial-up... ridiculous

I get as high as 2.5 mbps, but usually at least 1.0

12. Hmac macrumors 68020

I've found 3G to be pretty fast on an iPhone. You'd have to test your DSL - go to dslreports.com and see what you have. You can also use it to test an iPhone or iPad.

13. Mpalmieri1203 macrumors member

Come to NYC and tell me how blazing fast 3G service is here. Stalling, lag, and tedious loads are par for the course.

14. wingnut8 macrumors 65816

wingnut8

:rolleyes:

You people are spoiled. Some of us don't even have 3G. EDGE is about equivalent to dial-up.

15. M87 macrumors 65816

16. avaloncourt macrumors 65816

That would be where I am too. It's taken two years for them to come within 30 miles of me with 3G. AT&T has made a statement in January that they're going to fill in the gaps this year in my state. I'm along an Interstate corridor too.

17. wingnut8 macrumors 65816

wingnut8

I'm in a fairly large city (90,000), while a city with 30,000 people 80 miles from me has 3G. Closest are to me with 3G is about 45 mins away. ATT claimed that after the Centenial merger we'd have it, still nothing here.

18. avaloncourt macrumors 65816

I'm in an area of 30,000 with no 3G. The area 30 miles away has about 200,000 and they just got their 3G about 6 months ago. It recently expanded out from the small area they had.

19. Justinf79 macrumors 6502

Justinf79

The thing is though, that 3G's ping is usually significantly higher than DSL's. 3G usually runs in the 1000ms to 5000ms area and varies wildly from one second to the next. Making things like online gaming horrid. (if you use it for that)

20. Hmac macrumors 68020

That's just too variable and it's going to vary WIDELY from destination URL to URL whether you're using cable, DSL, or 3G. Ping, which is how latency is measured, is highly dependent on a wide variety of factors like line speed, server load, server efficiency, number of hops to the destination server etc. The actual 3G portion of any given route is only one component, and for many, maybe even most, destination servers, not the biggest limiting factor.

I was playing around with my wife's iPhone last night testing 3G speeds at DSLreports.com. I got pretty consistent speeds on 3G between 1.8 and 1.2 mbps, but the latency varied widely from 27 ms to 185 ms depending on what city I was trying to hit.

Anyway, I guess I never though of playing an FPS or other such ping-dependent game on an iPhone or iPad. That seems like that's just asking for heartbreak.

21. Mpalmieri1203 macrumors member

Edge can usually result in you actually having faster service!

22. Mpalmieri1203 macrumors member

I gave the speedtest a shot

On my wifi I get 14224KBPS Down. And 5279 Up. Ping 58

On 3G I get 646 KBPS Down. And 338 Up. Ping 374

That's in NYC. Maybe you understand my references to dialup speeds.

Dropping broadband for 3G is ridiculous.