Can iPad mini use GPS of iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Densi, Oct 24, 2012.

1. Densi macrumors member

Hello,

Is that possible? Like you can use an wifi only with your phone's hotspot?
    In addition to use it as a e-reader I'd like to have a bigger screen while navigating in foreign cities (by feet).

Regards,
    Daniel

2. Densi thread starter macrumors member

3. JohnnyAndre macrumors regular

It can, badly. Tried to use Siri Maps tethering on my 5th gen iPod touch... It works, but badly.

4. ericrwalker macrumors 68030

ericrwalker

Tethered how? I think the OP was asking can the iPad actually tether the GPS receiver, maybe via bluetooth, which I don't think is possible, at least not without a jailbreak.

I used to use a Palm Treo with TomTom maps, but I had to use a bluetooth GPS receiver with it. I think this would be a great option if Apple allowed more access to their bluetooth system.

It was one like this.

5. Densi thread starter macrumors member

phone position

Maybe it´s just getting the position of your phone from its cellular position and not from its GPS position... :confused:

6. ericrwalker macrumors 68030

ericrwalker

7. JohnnyAndre macrumors regular

Tethered via personal hotspot. It seems to work better with Google Maps. Apple Maps was really hating that tethered LTE.

8. ericrwalker macrumors 68030

ericrwalker

I love iOS, but this is where I wish it was a little more open. It would be awesome if you could tether hardware via bluetooth.

9. convergent macrumors 68030

convergent

You can. I use Bluetooh tethering between my Macbook Air and iPhone 4s all the time. Its much more secure, to me, than turning on WiFi.

10. ericrwalker macrumors 68030

ericrwalker

You can't use any bluetooth item you want with iOS devices. Like the example I used, you can't pair a bluetooth GPS receiver with an iOS device, or a bluetooth OBDII reader.

11. convergent macrumors 68030

convergent

Gotcha... didn't know people still used Bluetooth GPS receivers. I've got 3 or 4 of them in a box in the closet somewhere and haven't used them in years. I hated them when I did use them because it was one more thing to charge.

My plan is to tether the iPad Mini to iPhone 4s via Bluetooth, and hopefully get the GPS data via that connection. Will see if it works.

12. mfr1340 macrumors regular

Bluetooth

I have all the latest Apple gear, and I have a Nexus 7. I wanted to see what the other side was like. Now that the ipad mini is out without a stand alone GPS I will use the Nexus 7 for my stand alone GPS. Now the 32gig nexus 7 is $249.00 now. The only problem is the unit has to be in the sleep mode for the car charger to work.

13. ericrwalker, Oct 29, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2012

ericrwalker macrumors 68030

ericrwalker

LOL, I have two in a closet somewhere. I don't use them, but I can see a perfectly good use for them for the folks that have iPads and iPod touches without a GPS chip in them.

It's a limit that Apple puts on their devices, probably forward thinking but it leaves people who are in a transition phase out of the loop or forced to purchase another product.