Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Appleaker

macrumors 68020
Jun 13, 2016
I disagree. Not only has the iPad hardware progressed, but iOS is far more capable than it ever was before. iOS 9 was a big leap forward in terms of app integration, Siri functionality, cloud and streaming services. Not to mention the progress made in apps (Microsoft Office, just to name one developer).

All of those things have conspired to make this a good time to go "iPad only", if it fits your needs. Two years ago? No way, at least not for me.
If those developments influences a persons decision then they are not the type of person I am talking about.
I agree software developments in iOS 9, primarily multitasking, have played a major role in the popularity of using iPad as a laptop replacement but it is different for everybody. I don't agree that it has only been now that is a good time, it has been since iOS 9 was available as the 2 year old iPad Air 2 is no different to the same sized pro as a laptop replacement.
[doublepost=1468626586][/doublepost]
Interesting. You know MOST people? Have you polled most people or is there a poll published that gathered that information?

It is a matter of scope. There were two new things introduced with the iPad Pro... a notebook-sized screen and a keyboard cover that is tightly integrated to the iPP. You can ignore that and dismiss those things as "no big deal" but they DO have an impact for some people.

Repeating an opinion doesn't turn it into a fact.
Interesting that you seem to know 'most people'. As I said in the text that you quoted, "unless you replace it with the 12" pro". A lot of my points were about software and the smaller iPads, not about the 12" Pro. I am aware of the keyboard but a 3rd party Bluetooth one can perform similarly although they are no where near as elegant and tightly integrated. I don't know where you are quoting me there, but I never said they were "no big deal" - As you say they are important and definitely had an impact in my iPad usage.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
I fail to understand why something has to replace something else, as well.

rMB, SE, 6s Plus, and 12.9 Pro

They all have their merits,

Reactions: Appleaker

Appleaker

macrumors 68020
Jun 13, 2016
I fail to understand why something has to replace something else, as well.

rMB, SE, 6s Plus, and 12.9 Pro

They all have their merits,
I agree but I guess people want to simplify their use of devices by getting rid of the devices that they don't need and can be done by something else.
[doublepost=1468629329][/doublepost]
Agreed. In fact, my 'laptop replacement' is the first gen Air. It's still a phenomenal machine!

It's the recent progress in software that made it finally work for me.
For me, side-by-side is an important part of an iPad being a laptop replacement, although it is not supported by all apps.

Reactions: eltoslightfoot

Osty

macrumors 6502a
Jul 15, 2008
Melbourne, AU
Finally, Scrivener for iOS is out on Wednesday! That will settle my personal debate. Even if it's only half as good as what's promised, it will mean the iPad will replace my need for a laptop.

AttilaTheHun

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2010
USA
Most people are just doing it because of the statements made by Phil Schiller and Tim Cook or because others have done it due to the statement. Since those statements were emphasized online in articles/videos, people try it out and realize that they can replace their laptop (or even desktop) with what is usually an iPad Pro.

The iPad is fundamentally the same iPad it has always been; if it can replace your laptop it has almost always been able to do that and is nothing new to the Pro (unless you replace it with the 12" pro). Try switching to an iPad 4 (I would go earlier but they don't run iOS 10) and you'll realize that it can replace your laptop. It annoys me that people act like its something new to the Pro; consumers have been ditching their PCs for iPads since 2010.

It doesn't need to replace a laptop and is very much still the middle device it was proposed to be at it's introduction, but a bit more functional. A lot of people who switch now are doing it for the challenge and are making compromises but want to 'move on with the future with simplicity'. It's like somebody who switches from iOS 10 to iPhone OS 1, if the 2 coexisted in terms of support and updates - You can do it an it'll be simpler but you'll get a whole lot more with iOS 10.

Amazing how much of an impact something said by Apple can make.
I need more than the iPad pro 12.9 that I have additional to 15" MBP and desktop PC if for more function the iPad pro is not enough for me i wish it was running IOS X I am like to have tablet running full OP thinking to buy the Lenovo Tablet Thinkpad X1

henry2

macrumors regular
Dec 9, 2010
For me yes it has I gotten rid of my laptop and just using my iPad and iPhone as my main units .

Appleaker

macrumors 68020
Jun 13, 2016
I need more than the iPad pro 12.9 that I have additional to 15" MBP and desktop PC if for more function the iPad pro is not enough for me i wish it was running IOS X I am like to have tablet running full OP thinking to buy the Lenovo Tablet Thinkpad X1
Yeah I agree it can't replace a laptop/desktop for me but I know it can for a lot of people. The thing that I don't understand is that people are making compromises to force themselves to use the iPad Pro as a main machine. I stick to using the iPad for what it is better at:
Browsing
Email
Photos
Video
Music
Games
eBooks
Sketching

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
"Can it" is the wrong question, IMO. "Is it better for what I want to do" is the right question. You probably could type a novel on an iphone, but I don't think many people would argue that makes it the right tool for the job.

I have both a laptop and an iPad, and each is excellent at some things but not others. I could force either device to do most of the things the other does, but the experience would be inferior, so I let them each serve their own purposes.

Reactions: SDColorado

cardfan

macrumors 601
Mar 23, 2012
Yeah I agree it can't replace a laptop/desktop for me but I know it can for a lot of people. The thing that I don't understand is that people are making compromises to force themselves to use the iPad Pro as a main machine. I stick to using the iPad for what it is better at:
Browsing
Email
Photos
Video
Music
Games
eBooks
Sketching

I can see the sketching part, a few games, and perhaps viewing pdfs but don't consider the ipad better at any of the others you listed.

It's more of a case what people's needs are. Many are just too nontechie or never made a computer a central part of their lives. Perhaps they don't do things in their life that a computer helps out with such as investments, finances, simple databases, media libraries, etc. For these simple people, an ipad would be fine.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
The thing that I don't understand is that people are making compromises to force themselves to use the iPad Pro as a main machine.

Well, I've taken to doing most of my word processing on my 12.9 Pro. And sure, dealing with documents on the iPad is a bit more clumsy on the iPad than on the desktop/laptop. But I can now work from my living room sofa instead of being tied to my desk. So for me, the little compromises I make are worth the tradeoff. I'm not forcing myself to use the iPad, I'm using it because I prefer to work in my living room. I believe most other people who are using the iPad as their main computer have similar reasons that make the tradeoffs worth it for them.

Appleaker

macrumors 68020
Jun 13, 2016
I can see the sketching part, a few games, and perhaps viewing pdfs but don't consider the ipad better at any of the others you listed.

It's more of a case what people's needs are. Many are just too nontechie or never made a computer a central part of their lives. Perhaps they don't do things in their life that a computer helps out with such as investments, finances, simple databases, media libraries, etc. For these simple people, an ipad would be fine.
Well it's creators seem to think that it's better at those things, and I agree.
IMG_0876.PNG
IMG_0877.PNG

[doublepost=1468689693][/doublepost]
Well, I've taken to doing most of my word processing on my 12.9 Pro. And sure, dealing with documents on the iPad is a bit more clumsy on the iPad than on the desktop/laptop. But I can now work from my living room sofa instead of being tied to my desk. So for me, the little compromises I make are worth the tradeoff. I'm not forcing myself to use the iPad, I'm using it because I prefer to work in my living room. I believe most other people who are using the iPad as their main computer have similar reasons that make the tradeoffs worth it for them.
I was talking about changing from a laptop rather than a desktop. I use mine for the same thing as sometimes I get sick of working from my desk all the time.

Reactions: Ghost31

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
I was talking about changing from a laptop rather than a desktop. I use mine for the same thing as sometimes I get sick of working from my desk all the time.

Never liked working with a laptop on my lap for some reason. Always ended up using laptops on desk/table. The iPad, otoh, feels perfect in my lap.

Appleaker

macrumors 68020
Jun 13, 2016
Never liked working with a laptop on my lap for some reason. Always ended up using laptops on desk/table. The iPad, otoh, feels perfect in my lap.
Hmmm... I think it depends on the laptop for me but overall I'm fine with using them on my lap. Something like the 12" MacBook might be better due to the size.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
Hmmm... I think it depends on the laptop for me but overall I'm fine with using them on my lap. Something like the 12" MacBook might be better due to the size.

The last laptop I had (and still have) is a 13 inch MBA. I suppose the 12" MacBook is slightly lighter and smaller, but I doubt it'll make a difference for me, as my main problem with laptops in my lap is the keyboard. I just never liked typing on my lap. Whenever I tried to use a laptop in my lap, all I could think of was that the keyboard is in the way, and I wish I could take it off! So the iPad really is the perfect "lap device" for me.

Appleaker

macrumors 68020
Jun 13, 2016
The last laptop I had (and still have) is a 13 inch MBA. I suppose the 12" MacBook is slightly lighter and smaller, but I doubt it'll make a difference for me, as my main problem with laptops in my lap is the keyboard. I just never liked typing on my lap. Whenever I tried to use a laptop in my lap, all I could think of was that the keyboard is in the way, and I wish I could take it off! So the iPad really is the perfect "lap device" for me.
Yeah it probably won't make a difference an iPad is more suited to that.

jamesrick80

macrumors 68030
Sep 12, 2014
I can do my work on the living room sofa even with a lightweight laptop....so the iPad pro is really not offering that much of a difference in convenience....

BeforeTheMeds

macrumors 6502
Jun 26, 2016
Edomx, MX
Do people go to banks still? I've used my phone and iPad for years now. The CapitalOne app is great, and I even deposit checks with it.

Me too, except Navy Federal Credit Union. I am not in the us and there are NO nfcu locations or autorized locations so I almost entirely do online with mostly ipad mini.

A.R.E.A.M.

macrumors 6502
Nov 12, 2015
Los Angeles, California
lemme throw my hat in the ring.

the pro has replaced my laptop for daily use and on the go use. i only used my laptop for basic things such as checking emails, shopping on amazon, trolling dating sites, and other assorted mischief i can find online.

the laptop sits and collects dust..literally...

Osty

macrumors 6502a
Jul 15, 2008
Melbourne, AU
interesting thing happened over the weekend.

My wife was talking about some online tutelage programme for our pre-school aged son to do because he's showing an aptitude for maths. TL;DR She wants a 'family' computer for the living room and my Mac mini has been singled out as the best candidate.

That places me in a somewhat interesting position. I can either buy a Macbook (expensive, old school, conservative) or I can make the switch to iOS as my daily driver (risky, avant guard, cheaper)

I already carry my iPad mini everywhere I go and Scrivener for iOS is being released in a couple of days so I'm leaning heavily towards iOS.

melman101

macrumors 68030
Sep 3, 2009
My issue is that you still can't do everything. For instance, for some reason I couldn't revoke the Pokemon go access from my google account on my iPad. Needed to use my MacBook.

Secondly, copy paste is way faster with a mouse. Some upgrades I need to do for work require lots of copy pasting. Oh well.

Still love my iPad Pro :)

mikes63737

macrumors 65816
Jul 26, 2005
Yeah, I think it's pretty close to replacing a laptop for most people.

Unfortunately, you do run into stuff like websites that force you to use their mobile/tablet version which may be missing features, and don't allow you to get to the desktop version. "Request desktop version" does not always work. So even if the device does work, someone else might make a bad decision that doesn't allow it to be a true replacement.

Reactions: Night Spring

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
Secondly, copy paste is way faster with a mouse. Some upgrades I need to do for work require lots of copy pasting. Oh well.

Depending on your workflow, I find that using clipboard management apps such as Copied can actually be faster and more convenient on iOS than the old-fashioned copy-and-paste mechanic on a PC, but it requires a huge change in your mindset and the way you approach the task.

So instead of the old "copy this bunch of text, alt-tab, paste it there, rinse and repeat" mechanic, you would first have to identify every chunk of text you need to copy on iOS, save them to copied in rapid succession, then hop over to the other app, and paste them in all at one short using the 3rd party keyboard.

For example, I use Copied for when I need to quickly insert multiple quotes on forums like TheVerge which don't support multi-quote, or for pasting multiple website links in Google Classroom. Effective, but darn, it took me quite a while to get used to the sequence.

M. Gustave

macrumors 68000
Jun 6, 2015
Grand Budapest Hotel
Secondly, copy paste is way faster with a mouse. Some upgrades I need to do for work require lots of copy pasting.

AAPL has a real quandary about this, IMO. On the iPhone 6s models, 3D Touch makes copy/paste much easier and faster than a traditional mouse. Yet I'm not convinced 3D Touch makes sense on an iPad.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.