Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

oldcelt

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 28, 2011
UK
i will need to replace my Air soon. Will an iPad Pro do everything my air does? Could I be completely without a laptop?????

Cascades42

macrumors 6502
Jan 25, 2016
UK
Are you referring to an iPad Air or a MacBook Air? For a lot of people I would suggest that an iPad could completely replace their laptop. That is assuming your primary computer uses are email, Internet browsing and basic documents (Word or Pages, Excel/Numbers, etc.). But it depends on what you do on said Air and which Air you're referring to.

powerbook911

macrumors 68040
Mar 15, 2005
I love my desktop Mac. Therefore, the 12.9 Pro has been doing a great job of replacing a notebook for me. Truth is though, I had pretty much stopped using my notebook as I prefer desktops.

Loveandterror

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2013
UK
I've opted for the iPad Pro to sort of replace my really old laptop (about 8yrs old).
I'm a stay at home mum at the moment. Once I go back to work I will have to invest into the MacBook Pro or something similar for photo editing. Other than that I wouldn't actually need a laptop, because the iPad does everything I need it for at the moment (mostly media consumption, streaming of movies etc.)
So, unless you need a device for hardcore gaming, video or photo editing, I think you can replace your laptop with it.

StoneJack

macrumors 68020
Dec 19, 2009
I needed only a small piece of software, custom keyboard, for me to replace the notebook. I made my custom keyboard myself in OS X but couldn't do it in iOS. Today in appstore, I found the needed one. I will still use macbook, but my chances of using ipad have greatly increased.

lauramayer

macrumors regular
Apr 5, 2016
i will need to replace my Air soon. Will an iPad Pro do everything my air does? Could I be completely without a laptop?????

Yeah, I guess. I need to replace my iMac soon. I use my old MacBook Air with an external Display as ans replacement for my iMac. I want an iPad Pro 12.9 inch as an replacement for my MacBook. I can do with an iPad all stuff I need to to. I hope I can use an external Apple Bluetooth Keyboard with the iPad Pro 12.9 inch.

Greetings,
Laura

Eric5273

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2009
New Jersey
I have replaced my MacBook Pro with the iPad Pro 12.9". As some here have said, this all depends on what you do and what requirements you have. I still have access to a work PC for those very occasional times I need to do something that I cannot do on the iPad. But for 99% of what I do, the iPad is great and I much prefer the simplicity of iOS. I also love that I can just yank off the Smart Keyboard and use it in tablet mode, or I can keep the keyboard on and use it like a laptop.

Also, if you are replacing a laptop, I would definitely recommend the Apple Smart Keyboard. For the first 3 months I owned the iPad Pro, I did not have the keyboard. Then I just got it recently, and it totally changes the device and makes it much more usable and much more laptop-like. And it takes all of 2 seconds to just pull it off and use like a tablet without the keyboard. All in all, it is a wonderfully diverse computer.

Works4Me

macrumors regular
Aug 29, 2007
Canada
Well, in my case, absolutely not. I can't even have two Word documents open at the same time, which I often need to do on my laptop... And there are a host of other things that I can't do as well or as easily as I can on myMacbook Pro or iMac. I like my iPad (air 2), but it's a very limited device.

hiddenmarkov

macrumors 6502a
Mar 12, 2014
Japan
You should use a compatible device with iPad.

That s your fault not iPad.

Think they were pointing out some gear incompatibility. In this case Garmin. Not exactly a new company or new tech. OP is asking can it do everything. If they have a Garmin of the same type...it appears not. Funny thing about tech shifts like this...you never realize you forgot that one thing to account for until you make the change and go oops. This could be one less oops for the OP or other readers of this.

When people say what IPP cannot do they all aren't attacking it (some maybe but not all). If it can't do it...it can't do it. Is what it is. Op wants a pro and con list. I know some are having an issue here...but this can have cons. All tech does.

mguti

macrumors member
Jul 17, 2012
TX
Like mentioned above it depends on what your need for a computer are, and if they can be done on a iPad Pro. For me the answer is yes, for the most part anyways. I really only need my MacBook Air for a couple of things, and only a couple of times a month. I use my iPad Pro for everything else.

stulaw11

Suspended
Jan 25, 2012
Well, in my case, absolutely not. I can't even have two Word documents open at the same time, which I often need to do on my laptop... And there are a host of other things that I can't do as well or as easily as I can on myMacbook Pro or iMac. I like my iPad (air 2), but it's a very limited device.

Actually you can, just not with MS Word for both.

You could open MS Word side by side with a .doc opened in Pages or Readdle's document app; or a ton of other office apps. I believe WPS office which is free does side by side

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.