All iPads Can iPad replace MBP or MBA???

Discussion in 'iPad' started by JoeRito, May 8, 2013.

1. JoeRito, May 8, 2013
    Last edited: May 8, 2013

JoeRito macrumors 6502a

JoeRito

Background: I'm a Mac user for 6 years.. 4 versions of OS X. Love my MBP to death. crazy as it sounds, i really like Mountain Lion too! 5 days ago bought an iPad mini and have used it exclusively, even as I write this post, no matter how difficult the task was. I had to purchase many apps to carry out day to day needs. I wondered, with all the iPad can do, can it really replace a laptop?

Short answer: No Way! Despite its coolness, it's convenience, it's numerous great apps (some free), its ubiquitous presence at the workplace, it just can't do what a good old laptop or desktop unit can. Some reasons:

-You absolutely need a keyboard to work effectively. Some folks are quite adept at using a virtual/ onscreen keyboard, but its just not as productive as the actual peripheral. I work in finance and a real keyboard is a must. For some work, an actual keypad is essential.
    - Both the iPad and mini have screens that are too small to really work effectively. They are beautiful, hi Rez screens with nice pixel density, but need to be larger to actually work with.... Endless scrolling is a time waster.
    - File management is a pain. Yes I bought the main FM apps, but they aren't as convenient as Finder or Explorer in windows. Steve jobs may have hated a visible file manager, but you need it in the workplace.
    - To use those few windows apps that you still need, like MS Access and other propriety stuff you cannot effectively virtualize a Windows machine.
    - Lastly, many corporate environments require the use of PowerPoint to give presentations at board meetings and other events. Often folks collaborate on slide presentations. The iPad version of Keynote or other tools like QuickOffice don't round trip a PowerPoint slide effectively. Where collaboration is not needed and you BYOC ("C" for computer) and just plug into the projector, then keynote is ok... It really needs an update ...current version is 2009. Also Visio is pervasive... Omnigraffle for ipad works best out of what's available but it's not perfect.

On the positive side, the iPad is hyper cool, it looks great and works great when taking notes at meetings. It does a super job at email and web work.. iAnnotate is amazing at working with .pdfs. Cloud services work perfectly. Also, battery life is insanely good! Truly an amazing device for media consumption and info sharing.

But to replace your trusty MBA or MBP, well, it's not there yet.

What's your experience?

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I've never considered it a replacement for my workflow
    But it is an awesome supplement

3. TyPod macrumors 68000

TyPod

Well put! In my field of study and future profession I would never be able to use just an iPad. For some it may be different, but I could never see it happening with me.

4. neutrino23 macrumors 68000

Conversely, I wouldn't drag my 17" MBP around like I do my iPad.

5. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

An iPad doesn't replace my laptop (in fact, I bought a MBA after I bought the iPad to replace my older laptop), but it is the device I use the most. Out of a desktop, laptop, smartphone and tablet, the other three devices I have because I need them, but the tablet is the one I have because I want it.

6. fullauto macrumors 6502a

fullauto

I purchased a 13" MBA to replace my 17" Quicksilver MBP. Since purchasing the MBA, the iPad (albeit 1st generation) has sat uncharged on my bookshelf for over 6 months.

In saying this, the Air is clunky for bed (but great for the couch) and I plan on purchasing a mini 2 just for fun / casual use / games. My eyes are starting to pack it in from heavy iPhone use (gaming / messaging / internet) - I feel they need a bigger screen just to give them a break.

Yup.. agree, keyboard is essential, as is the trackpad for any serious work.

7. racer1441 macrumors 68000

Yes, I have done this for about 4 months. Works great for me.

8. SMDBill macrumors 6502

YEP! If for no other reason, try doing some copy/paste work in a hurry on a tablet compared to the same actions with KB/Mouse or KB/Trackpad. And flipping between Excel or equivalent and a word doc, the web or whatever while doing research or something is really a pain on a tablet. A tablet is great for so much, but for what it's not so great for it can be painful to try.

9. Commy1 macrumors 6502a

Commy1

I don't think I would be able to go without a laptop or some sort of higher powered computer. The iPad I use as a true mobile device with Word and PS capability, but it's made in just such a way that I also wanted a Macbook, so I got one.
    I set up the iPad as a second wireless monitor for the Macbook and it helps the workflow exponentially. Not having to switch tabs and having PS tools on a touch screen makes everything run smoother.

10. nefan65 macrumors 65816

nefan65

I've been trying, but haven't been 100% successful. I'm probably 95% of the way, but a few apps and workflows prohibit full use. Hopefully in the coming months more of the apps I need will be there.

11. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

Short answer.

For contents FRUITION : yes (most of the time).
    For contents CREATION: no.