Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

themetnut

macrumors member
Original poster
May 16, 2014
Hey everyone I was just wondering if you could use the iPad Wi-Fi only version as a turn-by-turn navigation device when hooked up to a Wi-Fi hotspot? Thank you

TheRealAlex

macrumors 68030
Sep 2, 2015
Hey everyone I was just wondering if you could use the iPad Wi-Fi only version as a turn-by-turn navigation device when hooked up to a Wi-Fi hotspot? Thank you
It's 2016 LTE is faster than most residential home WIFi anyways who buys a WiFi only iPad Pro to say the least the missing GPS chips make it less Pro of a device.

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010
It's 2016 LTE is faster than most residential home WIFi anyways who buys a WiFi only iPad Pro to say the least the missing GPS chips make it less Pro of a device.

As has been discussed in other threads, lots of people buy wifi only tablets. In fact, I dare say most people do. Speaking for myself, I never find myself needing to use my tablet somewhere where's there's no wifi. If I need to check something online when I'm out and about, or use GPS, that's why I have a smartphone. Also, I have yet to encounter LTE speeds that match my home or work wifi, but maybe that's just me.

Jtludwig

macrumors 6502
Mar 24, 2012
As has been discussed in other threads, lots of people buy wifi only tablets. In fact, I dare say most people do. Speaking for myself, I never find myself needing to use my tablet somewhere where's there's no wifi. If I need to check something online when I'm out and about, or use GPS, that's why I have a smartphone. Also, I have yet to encounter LTE speeds that match my home or work wifi, but maybe that's just me.

At my old house outside of California, all we could get was slow DSL despite the fact that we lived in a subdivision with hundreds of houses. It topped out at 5 Mbps. LTE was MUCH faster, so yes, it is just you.

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010
At my old house outside of California, all we could get was slow DSL despite the fact that we lived in a subdivision with hundreds of houses. It topped out at 5 Mbps. LTE was MUCH faster, so yes, it is just you.

Um, how does your terrible DSL situation make it just me? I'm not trying to say that everyone has faster wifi than LTE either, but clearly there's a wide range of situations, so it's silly to assume that everyone is better off with LTE tablets just because it's 2016. My wifi download speeds can top 200MB/s while my LTE seldom tops 30.

Jtludwig

macrumors 6502
Mar 24, 2012
Um, how does your terrible DSL situation make it just me? I'm not trying to say that everyone has faster wifi than LTE either, but clearly there's a wide range of situations, so it's silly to assume that everyone is better off with LTE tablets just because it's 2016. My wifi download speeds can top 200MB/s while my LTE seldom tops 30.

Because you said "maybe that's just me", which implies that "maybe that's not just me" in reference to your home and work wifi being faster than LTE.

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010
Because you said "maybe that's just me", which implies that "maybe that's not just me" in reference to your home and work wifi being faster than LTE.

So? I think it's likely that I'm not the only person in the world with faster wifi than LTE. It's not like I suggested that it's true of everyone, so I don't understand how it not being true for you makes it only true for me. Oh well. No need to dwell on it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.