Can iPad work well as a digital photo frame?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Michael CM1, Apr 3, 2010.

1. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

One of the reasons I held off on a Kindle was waiting to see if the iPad could double as a digital photo frame. Good ones cost $100+, and that's without any network connection or anything.

When I can afford one, I'd like to create a photo album in iPhoto, put the iPad on a stand in landscape mode and plug it up on my kitchen counter. Assuming I found a stand, is this possible with the iPad out of the box or do I need to bug developers to make an app for this?

2. Freis968 macrumors 6502a

Freis968

Yes, it works great as a $500+ digital frame.

I am thrilled with mine...:)

3. Astro8973 macrumors regular

Astro8973

It's a great digital photo frame! That's one of the features I was excited about. That way I'll have something pleasant to look at while it charges. :D :apple:

4. Benito macrumors 6502

Benito

The photo frame app is one of the reasons I am considering getting an iPad.

5. 4DThinker macrumors 68020

It'll be great. For a small fee I'll laser cut a keyhole slot in the back of yours so you can hang it on a nail too!

6. scsjason macrumors newbie

So, is there a stand that lets it sit in landscape orientation and be kept
    charging while operating as a photo frame? I seem to remember it has
    the charging point on the bottom in portrait orientation rather than
    landscape . . .

7. bowlerman625 macrumors 68020

bowlerman625

iPhoto is awesome on the iPad. (if that is what it's called)
    very impressive!

8. Sdevante macrumors 6502

Works great. This is exactly what I did.

Bought a $.89 business card holder from Office Depot, sit the iPad on it in landscape mode on the kitchen counter, and let it charge while showing photos.

9. pyrodex macrumors 6502

pyrodex

I actually considered building out a nice wooden frame for my iPad(s) to place on the corner tables next to the couch. It wouldn't be to hard, just would have to purchase a DOCK extender cable (http://www.radtech.us/Products/CablesIpod.aspx bottom of page) and then seat it just right in the frame box and then slide the iPad in an out. With a little paint the frame would be a nice item. So who wants to help mass produce them :)?

10. danny_w macrumors 601

The iPad works great as a picture frame but it could really use a few more options. There is no way to set transition time, transition types are limited to Dissolve and Origami, and I have so far been unsuccessful getting it to work with faces or with smart albums based on faces. I use it a lot as a picture frame though as it is.

11. H00513R macrumors 6502a

H00513R

I keep seeing the option but really I haven't even had an urge to use it as such.

12. BobVB macrumors 6502a

BobVB

it is working for me but I will note: it will only zoom on a face when there is only one face defined - pictures with multiple faces are shown nonzoomed.

13. Sdevante macrumors 6502

So that's how it works? It goes off of iPhoto face assignments?

14. BobVB macrumors 6502a

BobVB

So it seems, it will only allow you to use the faces if you have imported a faces category, and it only works in dissolve transition mode, not origami (expectable since origami shows multiple pictures at once)

15. gillybean macrumors 6502a

As a picture frame it's ok, there are a variety of other apps that you can use on your iPad too when you're not using it. For example, I have mine standing on my desk (using the Apple case) playing music videos / concerts at the moment, streaming from Air Video.

I've also tried a picture frame App called "My Frame." It lets you play music, set which photos to rotate through in the background, and it also shows time, weather, and optionally a To-Do list (like a post-it note) and Tweets.

16. Simgar988 macrumors 65816

Simgar988

its great for this purpose. Theres a button directly on the lockscreen